07. try

For the tower to be noiseless was a rare occurrence. There would always be arguments, laughter, debates and Clint and Tony pranking everyone else. However, none of those were happening and that's because everyone was secluded inside the movie theatre, watching a Star Wars marathon.

Anastasia sat between Bucky and Sam, holding a bowl of popcorn that was shared between the three of them.

Anastasia would never know how Tony managed to get everyone together for a Star Wars marathon but she knew blackmail was involved. She snuck a glance at Bucky and smiled when she saw that his eyes were glued to the screen.

She wished it was as peaceful as it was now every day. Everyone was dealing with their own problems, nobody spends time together anymore. It was truly heartbreaking. She wanted to go back to simpler times when the world didn't need saving, when the Avengers weren't heroes, just ordinary people who wanted to make a difference.

Perhaps that's what heroes were. Perhaps heroes were regular individuals who strove to make the world a better place. The world may see the Avengers as extraordinary people and many times Anastasia did so too, but she also saw that behind all that power and strength, the Avengers were human. They have emotions, fears, dreams, desires and ambitions. In the end, they're the same as everybody else.

If anything, their desire for change was what made them the heroes they are today.

"Ana, you seem off, you okay?" Sam whispered in a concerned voice.

"I'm fine." She murmured, giving him a tiny smile. In truth she was anything but fine. When she allowed her mind to wander off on its own she tended to think of more negative thoughts making her feel depressed.

She felt a vibration in her pocket and sighed. "Hey... I have a call... Look after Bucky for me please?" She asked Sam in a soft voice.

"No problem, go ahead." He replied, giving her a thumbs up. She hastily walked out of the room, keeping her head low so she wouldn't be in anyone's way.

"Doctor Volkov, what's your business?" She answered robotically, having memorised the line and having said it a thousand times.

"Volkov, we need you now." Nick's voice came through the speakers. The panic and urgency in his voice made her concerned.

"Location?" She inquired, racing to the elevator with her bag slung over her shoulder.

"S.H.I.E.L.D.'s new base in New York, the beds in our infirmary are filled. We're short on doctors and everyone we've got is useless." Nick informed furiously.

"Give me 20 minutes sir." She stated, sliding into the driver's seat of her car. She started the engine and stepped on the pedal.

In exactly 18 minutes, she stopped in front of an abandoned warehouse. It was old and run-down and it certainly wasn't eye-catching which made it the ideal place to locate the new S.H.I.E.L.D. base.

Slamming the doors open, she approached a seemingly ordinary wall and entered a code in a hidden keyboard. The 'wall' moved to reveal a hidden elevator.

"Thank goodness you're here." Maria sighed.

"What's the situation?" Anastasia questioned, walking with Maria towards the infirmary. When she was working she tended to be more confident in herself since it was her field of expertise.

"Several dozen H.Y.D.R.A. agents raided one of our safe houses. Our agents got rid of any Intel in that base but many agents died doing so, the others are in the infirmary right now." Maria explained without slowly down her pace. "We don't have enough doctors or nurses and we don't have time to call everyone in so we had to call in the best."