05. bruises

The blood-curdling scream ripped through the apartment like a tear in the fabric of space and time. Anastasia's stomach twisted and her chest tightened painfully. She recognised that voice.

She jumped out of bed and rushed to the room next door, where Bucky was 'sleeping'. Slamming the door open, her heart broke at the sight before her.

It was dark, but Anastasia could clearly see the panting figure on the bed. The blanket was sprawled across the bed and lying right in the middle of it all was Bucky. Though Anastasia couldn't see very well, she could tell he was covered with a thin layer of sweat. He was gasping, whimpering and murmuring incoherent words.

"Bucky, wake up Bucky..." She whispered, gently shaking him. When he showed no signs of waking up, she tried again with more force. She debated whether or not to request assistance from the others but went against it, fearing they were asleep and she would only wake them up from their much needed slumber.

"Bucky please!" She pleaded desperately. He started getting more violent and physical, making her even more concerned. She tried to stay calm though inside she was scared and panicking.

"Wake up Bucky, it's only a dream! Please!"

"L-Let me go!" He hissed, wrapping his metal hand around her wrist and grasping it tightly.

"Bucky!" She gasped, tears dropping from her eyes. The pain was unbearable. "P-Please wake up!"

He only tightened his grip, and when Anastasia heard a sickening crack she cried out, dropping to her knees as the pain was too much to handle.

"Bucky!" She screamed. "Bucky wake up!"

"Ms Volkov, shall I call Captain Rogers-"

"No!" Anastasia interrupted J.A.R.V.I.S., breathing heavily. "I don't want to disturb them!"

She stood up, her knees shaking. Bucky was still holding her wrist. Groaning, she got up and sat on top of Bucky, effectively straddling him. Even when he's asleep, he must've felt it because he only started struggling more.

"James Buchanan Barnes, wake up!"

Hearing his name triggered something inside Bucky, but it wasn't the reaction Anastasia was hoping for. In fact, it was the complete opposite.

He released her wrist and for half a second Anastasia thought that maybe, just maybe he had regained consciousness. However, that moment of relief was cut short when she was hit by a strong force on the side, throwing her off Bucky and into the wall.

She groaned, landing on her side. Hot, searing pain could be felt spreading through her head, and from the liquid she felt running down her face, she knew she was bleeding.

"Bucky?" She whispered, seeing him sit up. However, seeing the empty, hollow and dazed look in his eyes she knew he wasn't awake. He was still trapped in a horrible nightmare, and he was dragging her into it.

He marched towards her, and she sat up, crawling away from him in an attempt to save herself. This wasn't the Bucky she knew and loved.

He caught her foot and dragged her towards him, making her squeal and claw the carpet so hard that her fingernails broke and blood started to appear.

"Bucky listen to me!" She yelled, "this isn't-" her plead was cut short when he turned her around and punched her in the face. She fought to stay conscious, but it was growing increasingly hard keep herself awake. She tried one last time to escape by doing something that saved her last time.

She hit him, aiming for his crotch.

He reacted immediately, loosening his grip on her foot and giving her a chance to stand up and run.