24. trapped

It became sort of like a routine.

Every single day, Bucky would visit Anastasia and sit by her bedside, talking to her about anything and everything. Sometimes he would repeat stories, but he was sure she didn't mind. She was like that. He always took care to not mention anything depressing, or anything related to HYDRA. He told her about how things were going, how he was improving and what was happening around the world.

Today was no different. He entered the room with a vase of colourful lilies. He placed it on the drawer beside her bed and sat down. He reached for her hand and began his usual stories, unsure if she could even hear him or not.

"Hey Ana, it's me... again," he smiled, "I'm worried that you're sick of hearing my voice... though knowing you, you wouldn't be. You would... just tell me I'm being crazy, and overthinking things." He laughed weakly, "Steve cooked for everyone today, we had breakfast as a team for once. You would've loved it, I'm sure. Someone even managed to invite Fury, who shockingly showed up."

"You would've fitted in perfectly." said Bucky, "it was amazing, all of us together, no fighting, no nothin'... just enjoying a Sunday morning as a team, and as friends."

No response.

Bucky didn't expect anything much. It's been a month after all, and he learned to lower his expectations during the third week. It worried him, but Bruce informed him that he shouldn't be so forceful. Anastasia would wake when she was ready, and no earlier. That's why he made it his personal duty to make sure she'd feel ready.

He wanted to ensure that she felt as safe as she could be, that she felt loved and protected and needed. He wanted her to know that no matter how long she took, he'd be waiting, because she was always waiting for him. She was patient and caring and understanding towards him, this was the least he could do.

And of course, he loves her, so why wouldn't he try everything he could to help her?

Bucky continued to talk to the unresponsive person in the hospital bed. The other Avengers often visited as well, especially Chase, who stayed by Anastasia's side as much as Bucky, though Loki and Clint were close seconds. They came to an agreement and took turns, and Bucky was willing to bet Chase had more stories to tell Anastasia. They both made sure to avoid the subject of Reina, having found the bodies of the many victims under HYDRA's unjust actions.

"She's still not waking huh?" Chase murmured as they switched. Bucky shook his head. "She'll come around... she has to."

Chase sounded unsure of herself, in fact everybody did these days, even Bruce. They clung onto hope, but how long can it last? How long can they keep hoping that she would wake up?

Bucky exited the room and roamed around the tower, eventually finding Clint sitting alone in one of the many rooms of the tower. He sat with Clint, but both men didn't say anything, they simply acknowledged each other and stared out the window.

Clint broke the silence by saying, "you okay?"

Bucky shrugged, "I'll survive... you?"

Clint sighed heavily, "Ana's a fighter, she'll pull through."

Bucky nodded, knowing how much Clint cared for Anastasia. They were practically like siblings after all, Clint had difficulty coping as well as Bucky did.

"I can't imagine what they did to her." Clint whispered, "I mean, I'm genuinely shocked she wasn't dead when we found her, considering her circumstances."

"Like you said, she's a fighter." Bucky stated, encouraging Clint and himself. He always saw Clint as more of a 'positive' guy, despite their differences and previous dislike towards each other. It was rare to see Clint so down and under, so Bucky felt it was only right to cheer the archer up.