The Arrangement_12

{{Lila}}

Wednesday I was sitting at work when someone asked me about a good real estate agent. Of course I gave them Elise's name and number then decided to call her myself.

"Hello?" She answered professionally.

"Hey, so I just referred a co-worker to you." I said happy to hear her voice.

"This can't be Lila Scwartz, it sounds like her but my bestfriend wouldn't ditch me for almost a month."

I felt shitty, I HAD unknowingly stopped talking to her.

"Ellie, I'm so so sorry doll."

"Yeah yeah, what are you doing?" She asked.

"I'm at work, we should have dinner tonight." I suggested.

"Definitely, the usual spot?"

"Yeah. Alright see you later." I said, we hung up. The rest of the day went by quickly, as I got into my car I remembered that today was Friday, Dixon and I always have dinner on Friday and Saturday.

I pulled out my cell and found him in my contacts, I nervously contemplated calling him, I have never called him. We gave each other our numbers as formality I suppose, because we always made plans face to face.

The entry for his number was boring.

It was just his first and last name and his number. No contact Info, no picture, ringtone, and most certainly no pet name.

I tapped the screen And put it to my ear, it rang for a while, I was about to hang up but then decided I would leave him a message.

"Hello?" He sounded a bit out of breath.

"Um, h-hey it's Lilliana, uh, Lila." I rolled my eyes at my awkwardness.

"Hey, is everything alright?"

I could practically see his brows pulling together in his seriousness.

"Yeah, no, everything's fine. No, I was calling to say I won't be making it to dinner tonight."

"Oh, well that's fine, uh give me a call tomorrow or something and we can go from there. Alright, bye."

I hung up feeling even more awkward. I went home and got dressed and as time went by I headed out to mine and my girlfriends' favorite restaurant.

The place was packed as usual but the hostess saw me and seated me with my friends. I felt like crap that I hadn't spoken to any of them so now I had to play catch-up.

"And what about you?" Pia asked. Pia is actually a cousin once removed on my mom's side. "Tell us about your boyfriend that you've ditched us for."

I rolled my eyes, "he's not my boyfriend." I shook my head. "I mean, he is, but he isn't."

They gave me the most confused looks and I didn't blame them.

"Well does he introduce you as his girlfriend?" Ronnie asked.

"Yes, but-"

"Does he mess with his phone when you two are out?" Elise questioned.

"No."

I didn't like the 21 questions they were firing off. Only Elise knew of my arranged marriage, as the other two wouldn't understand.

On and on they went, trying to prove he IS my boyfriend, "wait!" Ronnie said holding up her hands. "We don't even know the mystery boyfriends name."

"His name is Dixon." I admitted, I don't know why but I even allowed myself to smile a little.

There was a collective gasp then Pia stood up and walked away.

I looked at Ronnie and Elise for answers.

"What the hell?"

It was Ronnie who spoke first.

"Pia use to mess around with Dixon." She confessed.

I rolled my eyes, "how do you know it's the same one?"

"He messes around with a lot of girls" She added.

"Lila, he's as love-less as his last name." Elise said.

My stomach dropped, never had I mentioned his last name. Dixon, my future husband is a man whore who not only apparently sleeps with just about anyone, he also slept with my cousin.

"I know where he use to club all the time." Ronnie put in.

Dixon clubs?

"I mean I didn't think anything of it when he stopped showing up, he might not even be there, he hasn't been there for the last month."

I found a small solace in knowing he had put his partying behind him while we are dating.