5

Recruits Uniform (Mens & woman's) above/ on the side
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Hey Justine, you okay?"
I blinked and looked over at Mitchie who handed me a drink. I must have blanked out again. After getting injected, the commanding officers told us that they were hosting a party for us before tomorrow's start with training. So that's what they were doing. Partying.
"Just my head," I mumbled. "I'm not really good with needles and whatever was in that really did a number on me."

"Funny I feel fine," she said taking a swig of her beer. "Anyway we need to talk about how we are going to survive the next 2 months before graduation."

I looked up at her, "Survive?"

"Yes. We are judged and under surveillance all the time, even on our down time like now," she looked around the hall. "There are two ways we don't make it to see graduation. One, they kick us out for not meeting the requirements or two we die from the venom."

Stop. "What? What the fuck?" I ask shocked. Mitchie just nodded and looked up at me. "The reason there's only ten graduates each year is because some of our bodies reject the venom and we die. I think you and me are the only ones who know about it," she whispers to me.

I bit my tongue to keep from cussing Duchess out in public. Watch when I see that lying—
"Ryder. Rodriguez."
I turned to see the boy from earlier who's name I finally learned. Devlin James. He was one of the Candidates for the Almássy family. He pushed his bang out of his face and leaned on the bar behind me. He was uncomfortably close. "You ever heard of personal space, James?" I asked annoyed.

"I'm trying to be friendly to a fellow classmate."

Is he serious? "This isn't high school," Mitchie said rolling her eyes. Devlin's smile grew and he held out a hand for me. "Come dance with me."

"I don't dance," I grumbled and Mitchie giggled. Even if I wanted to dance with him he couldn't keep up with me. Another boy walked over and tapped him on the shoulder. "Mr. Almássy wants a word."

Devlin smirked at me, "I'll see you first thing tomorrow, Ryder."

I waved him off and turned to Mitchie who smirked at me. "Looks like your popular."

"Oh hush."

•••

Section One: Combat

"RISE AND SHINE LADIES!"
I jumped off my cot and stood in front of my bed as we were instructed to do. The woman who woke us up stood in the threshold of our room and glared at each of us with piercing blue eyes. On her uniform was a black Dragon right above her heart but on the jacket was the Rising Phoenix. She's a Mason. I noticed on the trunk at the foot of my bed were clothes and combat boots with fingerless gloves. They were there for all of our beds. "It is now six a.m! Every morning, even if you are sick, I expect you to be up and dressed in your uniform that has been provided on the trunk of your bed," she shouted. "I am Lieutenant General Elizabeth Mason. Your worse fucking nightmare compared to my husband General Mason. Are we clear?!"

"Yes, ma'am!" We shouted in unison.

"Get dressed recruits! Your first training session is in twenty minutes!" And with that she walked out of the room. The other females grabbed their clothing and scrambled around the room. "Glad you listened to me about taking that shower last night, huh?"
I smiled over at Mitchie and pulled my shirt over my head and chuckled. "I'll give you that one."

Mitchie and I were the first ones dressed and out of the room before the other girls. When we turned the corner, I looked up and felt the blood leave my face. No way. "Tommy?" I whispered. His head snapped my way and confused brown eyes scanned my face before realization. Tommy turned from the man who he was talking to and stormed toward me. Oh shit.