28

- Cherine's POV -

I looked up as Joel walked into the den and dropped his coat on the couch before diving into it head first into the couch. I put my feet on top of his head and went back to reading my book. "Why are you here?" He mumbled into the couch. Justine went out with Duchess tonight to celebrate her college acceptance and even though I was invited I felt that was a private thing. I shrugged in response to his question.

"Why aren't you with them?" I asked.

He rolled over pushing off my feet. "I have things to do."

"Like what? Sleep?" Idiot. "Nicholas went with them too you know."
Joel's body froze up and I rolled my eyes. This ongoing feud between the two of them was starting to irritate me. "Did Staci go?" He asked.

"No."

We both looked up to see all of our siblings sitting somewhere in the den. I didn't hear them come in. Creepy. Jonathan twirled a knife in his hand looking out the window. "Joel, as the second oldest I would like to point out how stupid you have been in regard to Justine," he said.
I closed my book and put it down. This was a long awaited conversation. Staci leaned against the nearest wall and nodded in agreement. It was true that Joel hadn't been in a serious relationship since Lena but this was common fucking sense.

"Does she know about your history with Lena other than the fact that she's your fiancée?" Carter asked seriously.

"I don't know what you're talking about," was all Joel said.

"Don't bullshit," Dorrian said frowning. "Does she know that you and Lena used to be—?"

Joel looked at us and growled, "Why does she need to know what used to happen?! It's been made perfectly clear that I want her and that's all she needs to know."
I rolled my eyes. This was typical Joel. Normally I would back him up but right now he sounded foolish.

"So what you're saying is that if an ex of hers started sniffing around, you would be okay with that? Especially if she lied about being just friends?" I asked. Joel glared at me and I shrugged. I'm not on your side today, big brother.

Alex sat up from laying on the floor and looked at Joel. "What is Justine to you, Joel? Or...what do you want her to be?" He asked. "If you don't make it clear then you give people room to take what's yours...that's what you taught us."

Point to Alex. Joel leaned back on the couch and stared at the ceiling as we patiently waited for an answer. I used to think that anyone but Lena would be good for Joel but what he really needs is Justine. Joel never used to speak much or smile or be anything but a stiff, mean machine that did whatever was ordered of him. Now when he thought no one was looking we all would see him smile especially when he argued with Justine. She would be too mad at him to notice the small smirk or smile on his face. Mama even said Justine was good for him.

Joel's mouth moved but nothing came out and I looked at Staci. "Come on, Joey—"

"Airen. Justine is my Airen," Joel said closing his eyes and I felt my heart drop to my stomach. When I looked at Staci and Jonathan they froze in their spots. I didn't bother to look at Carter, Dorrian or Alex. That wasn't a term used loosely and Joel never said it before...not even for Lena.

This is a lot more serious than I thought it would be.