66

I tightened my grip on the rock in front of me before looking down. How I got halfway up this damn wall was a mystery to me. Probably because Joel and Nicholas talked me up the wall with Joel two paces behind me. I could hear Staci cheering me on. Why couldn't Joel just fly me up there, I thought bitterly.

"I would, baby, however I don't think phasing into a dragon would be a good idea with the human present," he whispered in my mind. Joel nudged my butt softly, encouraging me to keep going. I looked up at Bash who was in front of me and continued to climb.

"You aren't afraid of heights are you, Justine?" Alex called down to me.

I started thinking about happy thoughts. Music, dancing, Joel naked-
Joel chucked from beneath me and I knew that wasn't the right thought to have at the moment. When I saw Bash grab onto what looked like the ledge I smiled, thankful that this was almost over. I grabbed onto something but felt it crumble in my hands, losing my grip and slipping off of my spot. Faster than I could pick up, Bash turned around and grabbed me before I fell back. Joel's hand whipped out to steady me but he saw what I saw, glaring up at Bash.

Bash used all his strength, which was a whole lot, to pull me up and push me to Carter and Jonathan who helped me over the ledge. When I steadied myself, I turned to see Joel and Bash climbing over as well. Joel stood up straight, glaring at Bash, "Good reflexes," he mumbled.

Bash nodded, "You too."

Joel broke his gaze from Bash to look at me asking the unsaid question. I nodded and he looked satisfied with the answer before looking at the group. "Watch your steps and keep a look out for anything suspicious," he ordered. I followed quietly behind him and reached out to him in my thoughts. "What was that?"

"His speed and reflexes weren't human. I don't know who or what he is but I don't want you to get comfortable with him," Joel looked back at me. "Understand?"

I quietly nodded in agreement not wanting to push Joel on the matter. He seemed very irritated on what happened and I didn't want to argue. As we continued on, the conversations struck up again and Joel even reached out to hold my hand. His thumb rubbed against my hand in a smoothing gesture that was somewhat distracting. When the sun started to set, I frowned over at Joel, "Were we supposed to be out here for more than the day?"

Joel pulled out his cellphone and sure enough there was no service. I looked over at Jonathan who was talking to Lexi, Mitchie and Jade before walking over to us, "We should stop. Traveling in the dark would cause problems."

"For the boy," Joel grumbled.

Jonathan gave his twin a knowing look, "If we continue in the dark he will become suspicious and that's not something we can allow."

"Father knew what he was doing when he set this up," Staci said walking over to us. "I say we keep going."

I looked at the three of them, "Do I have a say?"

They nodded.

"Let's continue until it's pitch dark and then stop until morning," I offered. Joel stared at me for a heartbeat then turned to the group who was waiting for direction. "Is that what you all want?" He asked. Everyone but Bash mumbled their agreement. Joel nodded and started walking again. I allowed the others to pass me as I walked over to Bash, "What's wrong?"

"It's just foolish to walk blindly," he told me, glaring at the back of Joel's head. I smiled at him, hip bumping him playfully, "He just wants to get back to the house. No one wants to spend their time out here."
Bash grunted his agreement and I looked over my shoulder to see Jonathan and Lexi walking towards us. When Bash and I made our way over to them I heard Joel call my name before I felt the ground beneath me disappear. At one time, Jonathan, Lexi, Bash and I fell through what felt like an animal trap and into a hole. The rest of the group shouted at us but fell on deaf ears as the wind whipped past as we fell.