20

- Joel's POV -

Walking into the Mason main house I was greeted by our butler, Victor. I handed him my wet clothes and the bag I had with me and made a beeline for my room. I quietly crept past the rooms of my siblings and finally made it to my room. Opening the door, I turned on the light and took a deep breath.

"Sneaking around, Joel?"
I flinched hearing Jonathan's voice through our family's mental link. I kicked off my shoes and walked over to my closet. "Stuff it, Jon."
"So the date didn't go well, eh?" Carter asked and I pinched the bridge of my nose as I realized the rest of the family started checking in. "Date?" My mother asked

"It wasn't a date," I snapped grabbing my towel and walking to my bathroom.

"Had to be since you blocked us from your thoughts," Carter chuckled just as Cherine butted in with, "You better not have touch her, you pervert!"
I blocked them from seeing the images from earlier. I wouldn't want to embarrass Justine like that. Turning on my shower, I slowly stared to peel off my clothes as my mind wandered.

"A date, huh?"

I looked over my shoulder to see my father in the bathroom doorway, smoking a cigarette. "You are going to kill yourself smoking that shit," I said stepping into the shower and closing the door. "How was the meeting?"

"Tomorrow they are posting the pairings for the tournament," My father said ignoring the earlier comment. "Although Elizabeth and I tried our best, Nicholas won't be getting punished for his actions."

I growled scrubbing my hair, "Let me handle him."

"No. Until we have Justine in our faction I can't have you or your other siblings doing anything that can tilt the judges decisions," he said sternly.

"He almost killed her."

My father sighed heavily, "You think the rest of us aren't upset about it? Anyway, you have to keep your distance until after she's put in a faction." I hated the idea of it. It was irritating to me because even though he almost killed her I knew Nicholas was attracted to Justine. He wanted her. Like I want her.
I looked over my shoulder at him, "I can't make any promises."

He smirked, "I've never seen you so jittery about a girl before. What's changed?"

Everything. "What made you go after mom?" I asked. He kept quiet and I nodded. My father chuckled in understanding, putting out his cigarette. "She's feisty just like your mother. You be careful with that breed. They always know how to burn you," he said leaving. I showered quickly and put on a pair of sweats as I walked back into my room. The cool air from the outside hit me and I sighed. How long have I waited for a girl like her? I shook my head a flopped forward onto my bed. Everything irritated me when it came to her. I lose my cool. When she got in the car with Nicholas...
Nicholas staring at her during the training process. Her crying at the lake today but then the way she could destroy someone with a smart remark or insult. The way her eyes glittered when she smiled. My attempt to stay away only mad me go back for more. I closed my eyes as I felt myself doze off. I'll give her time...for now. I smiled as I let myself slip into sleep.

"Justine..."