70

"Justine, you will stay here with the assault team to make sure the base is protected," Eric ordered. I didn't even acknowledge what Eric said to me. I just stared at Joel, my mate, in disgust and disbelief. This wasn't happening. He wasn't about to do this. "You are really doing this," I said watching him fix his weapon belt.

"Justine. This isn't up for discussion."

I growled at him making his head snap up at me. "You didn't even consult me! We are supposed to be partners! Who are you to just go and make a major decision like this-"

Joel stepped forward, roaring, "I AM YOUR MATE AND THEIR LEADER!" I took a step back, narrowing my eyes at him. "This is a choice I made for the good of the faction."

"No...you made a choice for the good of your dick."

----------------------

A Week Earlier....
Pt. 1

"NO!"

Joel and I turned around to see Lexi holding onto a pole and Carter trying to detach her from it. I giggled softly as Joel sighed shaking his head. After the tattoo shop and dinner we went home to pack and caught a private jet back to London. Bash stayed in Hawaii with Nicholas for what I'm not sure but hopefully Nicholas can get a bit of information out of him. Lexi was currently expressing how I was feeling at the moment. I didn't for the life of me wanted to go back to the daily bullshit of Valentine and Carmen. Joel pulled me away as I was laughing and led me to the limo that was waiting for us. Eric nodded to us as he was packing his and Elizabeth's suitcases in another car, "There is a meeting that we are all expected to attend before going home."

Joel nodded, "We will be there."

Yeah right. I looked over my shoulder to see Carter carrying Lexi over his shoulder to the car. Dorrian, Jonathan and Alex just stared at them, shaking their heads. I waved at a laughing Mitchie and got into the limo with Joel right behind me. When he closed the door, he tapped the window and the driver started moving. I pulled out my phone checking my messages when I notice two from Bash. I peeked up at Joel who was looking at his own phone with a frown and opened the message:

U owe me dinner. I'll b bck in London nxt week.

That's it? I read the message twice and that was it. He didn't even ask. Cocky bastard. I felt Joel's arm snake around me and pull me close to his side, looking down at me. "I'm going to need you to behave at this meeting, love."

I frowned, "I'm always behaved." He gave me a look. "Ok your aunt deserved it. She questioned my leadership!"

Joel chuckled running the back of his hand up and down my cheek, "I wasn't there those times but I will be today so I'm asking you to behave."

"What are you not telling me?"

Joel's eyes hardened and I felt the wall go up in our connection. I gasped softly, hopping two seats away from him glaring. "Joel!"

"Come back here, Justine."

"No! What are you keeping from me?!" I snapped at him. Joel started growling at me and inched closer causing me to scoot away more. "I keep things from you and you pound someone's face in. You keep things from me and I'm supposed to just be ok and obedient?"
Joel gave me a sharp nod. Oh sweet baby Jesus don't make me kill my mate.
"Let me explain something to you, Joel Mason, I am your mate. Your Airen. Your equal. I am not below you in anyway but beside you," he opened his mouth to speak and I raised my hand. "When you acknowledge what I've just said then maybe I will allow you to touch me."

A snarl ripped through Joel's chest and when the limo stopped I opened the other door and walked straight into Thomas. He gave me a confused look then looked behind me. "Um, Justine-"
"I don't care."
I walked past Eric and the others, flashing my ID at the security and into the base. I didn't need to look to know Cherine, Staci, Lexi and Mitchie were walking next to me, heading to the conference room. "Do I even want to know what happened?" Cherine asked.