The Doe

She had arrived in Dumbledore's office, with the hopes of enquiring about the ring. He had informed her that he found it so she came to ask. However, what she found out was far more precious.

She was just in front of his door when she heard whispers. Snape and Albus talking. And she found out so so much.

Draco Malfoy was supposed to kill Dumbledore but he wanted Severus to do it, instead. Harry was a Horcrux and so, he needed to die. And most of all, he had loved Lily and he still did, after all those years.

She knocked the door and heard a small "come in".

Her gaze fell upon his hand. It was blackened, burnt and on the side, was the destroyed ring.

"Albus!" She cried. "What did you do?! You weren't supposed to wear it!" Her fingers gingerly touched his blackened hand.

"Oh, dear..." She bit her lip. "It's cursed. You're dying."

"I have almost a year, says Severus." Replied Albus.

She turned to Severus. "Well, you'll kill him before the curse does, won't you?" The words escaped her mouth before she could stop himself.

Severus narrowed his eyes. "You were listening... you heard everything... Legilimens!"

But she shook him out of her head. "Sorry! I didn't mean to eavesdrop... it just happened. I wanted to go back down and wait but I couldn't move, okay? I'm sorry, Severus."

There was silence. Albus merely smiled at both of them.

He shrugged. "I suppose... it doesn't really matter, does it? Unless you choose to take it against me, Ariana."

"Take it against you?" She repeated. "You really think that after hearing that, I would still despise you, Severus? ...I respect you. I never thought of this. I never found this a possibility but now, I know. Albus was very much right to trust and I trust you, too. And for everything I did to you in the past, I'm truly sorry."

He gave a stiff nod.

"Well... erm, I'll be off." She said, softly. "Tell me if there's anything, Albus. Good bye."

"One moment, please, Ariana." Albus stopped her.

"Yes, Albus?"

"Where are you stationed?"

"Stationed? Nowhere. I resigned, remember? I'm not an Auror anymore."

"Then, I believe you could help protect this castle? Stay in Hogsmeade, perhaps?"

"With Tonks? Yes. I'll do it... under the name of Proudfoot."

He raised an eyebrow.

"Don't want to be detected." She replied, vaguely.

Staying at Hogsmeade was easy but being around Tonks was neither enjoyable nor easy.

"Listen, Dora. I've talked to him. He's an idiot, okay? He loves you, too... he doesn't have the brains to show it..." But no matter what she said, Tonks wouldn't cheer up.

"You bloody fool, Remus!" Ari snarled at him. "Why are you torturing her like this!? Would if hurt if you would tell her?"

"Ari, we can't be together-"

"Then, I hope you'll have fun crying over her grave like you cried over Marlene's. Don't repeat your mistakes, Remus..."