Sixteen.

Now Playing... Angel With A Shotgun

    "Today we're going to learn about the quadratic formula..." 

I drowned out Miss. Denova's voice, tapping my pencil against my notebook. For some reason, my mind couldn't focus much that day, especially in math, and even though I knew I would pay for it later when I did my homework, I couldn't bring myself to care during class. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Wes staring at me, but I didn't know why. Sighing, I glanced over at him.

"Molly, what do you do next?" Miss. Denova suddenly questioned, and I froze, looking at the board to see if it gave the answer. To my luck, it didn't.

I glanced around the room, seeing if I could find the answer anywhere, and when I realized I had no idea, I lowered my head in shame. "I-I, um, don't know."

Low giggles filled the room, and my face grew red as I sank in my seat. Miss. Denova rolled her eyes."Miss. Clarke, please pay attention next time instead of gazing at your classmates."

The class erupted in loud laughter. I wanted to cry right then and there, but I knew it was what they wanted. Miss. Denova sat at her desk, but then she jumped up, squealing loudly. More laughter filled the classroom, and I finally interpreted the message behind Wes' grin.

"Who did this!?"

Wes stood, clasping his hands together. "Miss. Denova, when I walked into class, Molly was placing the tacs on your chair. I told her not to, but she didn't listen."

Miss. Denova's eyes burned through me, and my jaw dropped as I stood up as well. "I-I would never--"

"Enough!" She screamed, her eyes blazing red. "Molly, go to the principal's office now!"

Shame overtook me and my cheeks burned violently. Gathering my books, I lowered my head as I walked out of the classroom. Low snickers sounded from behind me, but I did my best to ignore them as I made my way to the principal's office. Once I was finished, he decided to send me home since the school day was almost over. When I walked into the house, I grabbed the alcohol my parents kept in the back of the cabinet and collapsed on the couch in the living room. After I finished the bottle, I felt tipsy, and around that time, Wes walked through the door, grabbing two bottles of beer before sitting in the chair adjacent to the couch. Silence lingered between us.

"So," He took a sip of his drink, throwing the empty bottle on the coffee table. "You get in trouble and come home and drink."

I bitterly laughed. "It's not like I have it easy at that damn school. You should know that better than anyone." I rolled my eyes. "Then again, you're the one who's usually behind my troubles."

"And? Why drink?"

"Takes away the pain."

He stood, and then suddenly, he was hovering above me, his elbows on either side of my head, holding up his weight. His fingers brushed stray hairs out of my face, and the corner of his mouth quirked up. "I think I have something better for that."

Before I could react, his lips pressed against mine. What shocked me most was that I didn't bother to pull away. Nearly knocking all wind from my lungs, I hardly had a moment to react before he pressed his tongue to the seam of my lips and, at my grant of access, delved inside my mouth. It was a very sloppy kiss, and as my arms reached up and tangled around his thick, strong neck, his hands held the back of my neck, keeping me as close as possible. I tugged the hair at the nape of his neck, and he groaned. He wasn't having that either, because he started grinding against me, forcing me to moan.

"Wes..." I whimpered, and he responded by trailing his lips from my jaw down to my neck. I gripped his hair, pulling him closer as a tear slipped out of my eye. When he looked at me again, an unreadable emotion flashed in his eyes before he gently kissed the tears off my cheek, his thumb caressing the back of my neck. Our lips met again, but not for long.

"Well. This is an interesting sight."

Wes and I immediately jumped away from each other. Nikki stood in the doorway, shooting us a cheeky grin. "I think I'll leave you guys to it."

Before either of us could react, Nikki bolted out the door. I fiddled with the hem of my shirt, completely sobered up, as Wes walked away. My heart dropped. After what had just happened, he left without a word. The thoughts going through my mind hurt more than I had expected them to.

"Dammit, Molly, why didn't you tell me?" I looked at him to see my pill bottle gripped tightly in his hand. Sighing, my eyes lowered. "You have depression?"

"It's not a big deal, Wes. Lots of people have it."

"Yeah, but you don't deserve it." He mumbled, pulling my hand until I stood. He wrapped his arms around me, and I buried my head in his shoulder, too exhausted to care that I was still mad over what he did to me in school.

"Do you actually care about me?" I questioned, glancing at him, and he raised his eyebrows.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"We're not friends anymore, Wes." I laid my cheek against his shoulder. "We're enemies."

"Just because we aren't on the best terms right now doesn't mean I ever stopped caring." His fingers brushed through my hair. "Things can change, Molly. We can always find our way back to the old us."