Twenty-Five.

Now Playing... Out of the Woods

    After two weeks of lying around, binge-watching Gossip Girl, and dying of pain due to the bandages wrapped around my legs from surgery, I was finally allowed to return to school. Wes had been helping me around the house, and it was as if the Wes I knew had appeared again. Nova kept me company while Wes was at school by entertaining me with her Barbies or books, and sometimes, I read them to her before she napped in the afternoon. We watched a lot of princess movies too, and it was the little things like those moments with Nova that brought joy to my day.

"Come on, Molls. The school year is almost over. You can do this."

I groaned, rolling on my back and pulling the blanket above my head. "I don't want to. Can't I just say I'm in too much pain and wait until tomorrow?"

"Nope." Wes pulled the blankets off of me before sitting beside me. I rested my head against his stomach, throwing my arm around him. He chuckled, wrapping his arm around my waist. "But don't you worry. I'll be there to help you, my little damsel in distress."

I glared. "Call me that again and it'll be the last thing you do."

Wes busted out laughing, and I took it all in, from the way his bright green eyes lit up, to the way his smile seemed to stretch to its full capacity. Hearing him laugh like that, genuinely, felt as if we were our younger selves again when we were best friends and nothing bad had ever driven us apart. It had been a long time since I heard that laugh, and something about it filled my heart with warmth.

Wes stood, grabbing my hands and dragging me out of bed. "I was just kidding. Go get dressed."

He walked out of my room and closed the door, while I stood in front of my closet, deciding on comfy clothes since my legs still weren't in the best shape. Braiding my hair in a side braid, I finished getting ready for school before meeting Wes by the front door. We walked out to my truck and Wes helped me into the passenger's side before sliding into the driver's seat.

Before he could pull out, I placed my hand on the steering wheel, glaring at him. "Do not hurt my baby. If you do, it'll be the last breath you take."

Wes paled, letting out a shaky laugh. "A lot of lasts I'm apparently going to be taking today. Someone's on the violent side."

I smiled sweetly. "It's only because I care."

Wes shook his head, chuckling, and finally drove to school. When he pulled in, he parked in my usual spot before walking around to my side and holding onto my waist as I climbed out of the turck. Once I'm out, he led us into school. People watched as we walked down the hall together, snickering under their breaths, and as we rounded the corner to our lockers, the popular girls whispered in the corner, while Katie's eyes flashed red when she saw Wes walking beside me.

"Molly," She greeted, a fake smile plastered on her face, "Nice to see you back."

I rolled my eyes. "Always a pleasure, Katie."

She glared, and Wes laughed quietly. Her eyes flickered to him, and she smiled sweetly, discreetly pushing me away. "You're still going to walk me to first period, right, Wes?"

"Actually," He grabbed my arm, pulling me so I was beside him again. "I'm helping Molly around. Sorry."

Wes started walking away, pulling me with him, and I looked away from him, smiling softly. Katie remained frozen in the place she stood, her jaw dropped, and when her eyes met mine, she glared as if looks could kill. When we reached first period, Wes helped me to my seat before sitting in his own, and as I glanced around, I noticed nearly half the class was staring at the two of us, whispering to the people around them.