Nineteen.

Now Playing... Dreaming With A Broken Heart 

    "Molly, wait!"

"H-How could he do that to me, Nik?" I cried, facing her. "I-I don't understand..."

Nikki wrapped her arms tightly around me, holding me close. I buried my head in her shoulder, soaking her shirt, but she didn't care. She held me tight, as if she could piece back the broken pieces Wes had scattered all over the floor.

"I know it hurts, Molls. But you and I both know none of what they said or what everyone saw was true." She pulled away, wiping the tears from my cheeks. "None of what they said or showed matters. All that matters is that I know you are good, and so do a lot of other people. Everyone in there? They don't matter. They don't know you."

"But they see me as who Wes and Andy made me out to be. How is that fair?"

Nikki sighed, hugging me again. "It's not. But those mistakes are your past, and they're over now. They can't control you anymore."

"Molly!"

I peeked over Nikki's shoulder to see Wes running towards us. When he reached us, Nikki stood defensively in front of me, her eyes narrowed into slits.

"Leave, Wes."

His eyes flickered to me. "Molls, I swear, I didn't know about the other--"

"Don't." I glared, tears angrily trickling down my face. "You knew what you were doing. You always do, and it's why I hate you!"

His eyes flashed with hurt, but I didn't care. He deserved to feel even just a miniscule bit of the hurt he had caused me over the past two years. And for once, he was rendered speechless.

"Go, Wes." Nikki growled, and Wes looked at me once again. Regret flickered in his eyes, but a part of me told me it was genuine. If he could do that to me, after everything we had been through, there was no way in my mind that he was sorry or even felt a hint of remorse for what he did.

Turning away from both of them, I climbed in my truck and sped out of the school parking lot. The whole way home, my chest felt heavy, as if someone had placed weights on it. No matter how hard I tried, tears wouldn't stop leaving my eyes, and I wanted to be strong, but sometimes, you had to allow yourself to be weak to push through the worst of days.

When I walked into the house, mom was sitting at the kitchen table, and when she saw me, her eyebrows crinkled in confusion. "Hi sweetie, why are you home so early?"

"I... I'm sick." I mumbled, passing her as I headed to my room. She never questioned, but I could tell she knew there was more to it. I just couldn't find it in me to admit what had actually happened.

Collapsing on my bed, I willed myself to quit crying, but there were some things you couldn't stop no matter how bad you wanted to. So, I ended up crying myself into a deep, dreamless sleep.

***

When I awoke, mom was sitting beside me on the bed, her fingers running through my hair. She smiled softly as I rubbed the tiredness out of my eyes. "How are you feeling, honey?"

I nodded, burying my head in the pillow. Mom sighed, and I closed my eyes as she continued caressing my hair. "Wes has his first game tonight, and I know he would really want you to be there. Your dad and I want you there too, but if you're still feeling sick, you don't have to go."

I sighed. I knew if I didn't go, it would give Wes more power over me, but if I stayed home, I wouldn't have to face him or everyone else. But I also knew mom and dad felt more secure when I actually left the house and did things, simply because they were scared of leaving me alone most of the time. It broke my heart, but I would do anything to keep my parents happy.