Chapter 18: Pain

Summer Gray

I sat by his bed, staring at his handsome face. His eyes were shut, his breathing normal as the annoying beeping of the machine beside him steadily went. He was wearing a blue hospital gown in the darkly lit room.

It's been two months since he's been awake.

And he won't wake up.

I came to this hospital every day, visiting him, sometimes sleeping the night if I was allowed.

I missed homecoming, Ryder hasn't talked to me since. He seems pissed.

I haven't gone to school in two months. My life has turned into a horrible blur. I wake up every day crying with dreams of him.

The doctors said he had a 75% chance of waking up within the next week, if not, then they'd have to pull the plug. I know he and I hadn't become the best friends but I missed him. I missed him so freaking much.

It killed me to walk through that hospital door each day and look at his lifeless body lying there.

"Is he okay?" His mom walked in. I was going to explode. Of course not you crazy hag! He got hit by a car, how could he be okay?!

"No." I whispered. I had cried till the tears would no longer come.

"This is all your fault you know." She said, sitting beside me. I felt unspoken anger belch out of me.

"No, it's your fault for being a crappy mother. You weren't even there for him, ever. He had to go through life alone. He used to be the sweetest guy in the world but your negligence ruined him. So don't blame me!" I yelled, crying all at once, the waterways bursting.

Unspoken words stirring in my heart. She stared at me for a second, like I was the strongest person ever and smiled.

"I'm sorry Summer, I know what he must mean to you." She scoffed, "since you're here everyday."

I ignored her. Staring at him and wishing he'd just open his eyes. I wanted to get lost in those blue eyes as long as I lived. If only he would let me look at them.

"Well you should eat. You've lost too much weight darling, when he wakes up, how's he supposed to make love to a skeleton?" His mom smiled, patting me on the back. I glared at her. This was no time for jokes.

"I'm going to the cafeteria right now, do you want anything?" I asked, standing up. She took my seat and shook her head.

I quickly went down the elevator and into the cafeteria.

"Summer, how are you doing?" The cafeteria lady asked, handing me a plate of food. I nodded, unable to form a smile. She handed me a tray of food.

"How much is this?" I asked, looking at the fries and cheeseburger. Tears began forming in my eyes as memories of the day at the Luzerne played back on my mind.

"On the house." She smiled, "you need to eat sweety, or I'll make you talk to Dr. Grandeur." She laughed, I nodded, silently thanking her and heading back up to Aiden's room.

I was about to walk in when I heard a familiar voice.

"I'm so sorry Aiden," I heard his mom's shallow breathing as she began crying. I peeked into the room, silently watching them.

She held his hand.

"Please wake up sweetheart. Uncle Pontiac and his wife are coming to visit you this week." She said, her voice shaky, "remember that one time you threw a water balloon down at him when he came visiting. You were such a rebel." She laughed slightly.