Chapter 5

May 2, 2012 

Austin, Texas

Ryan is surprisingly a great dancer. Twirling me around to the music with such grace across the wooden dance floor. Not once has he let me make a fool of myself or trip over my feet.

For that I am very grateful.

The both of us laugh and carry on as old country songs continue to play through the air. I haven't remembered the last time I had this much fun. I haven't laughed so much in such a long time that my belly hurts.

A slow song finally comes on, it's 'I Miss My friend' by Darryl Worley. I stop dancing, pulling myself away from Ryan and watch all the other couples get closer. Everyone now moving along with the slow and steady beat. I smile a bit at them before heading back to our table.

"May I have this dance?" Ryan asks, grabbing my arm, before I can move around the dancing couples.

"Oh, no! No way, Ryan! I can't." I say quickly pulling my arm from his grip. I hurriedly try to speed walk away and sit back down. I squeal in surprise when he grabs me by the waist, spinning me around to face him. He cups my chin and rubs my cheek with his thumb. His gray eyes burning into my soul once again. 

"You can. Just follow my lead. Trust me, Laina." His voice is so tender and gentle. I'm once speechless again and manage to nod. I look over at another couple who are watching Ryan and I with huge smiles on their faces. Again I blush.

This is a first for me, I've never slow danced with anyone before. His arms are around my waist and mine around his neck. Me being 5'6", my head is level with his chest. He smells so good, it's intoxicating. I cannot stop myself from inhaling the manly musk and rest my cheek against him. 

It feels as if our bodies fit perfectly against one another. His face is nuzzled in the crook of my neck and his breathing is giving me goosebumps with every exhale he releases. He then gives me one small kiss right below my ear, his facial hair scraping against my skin, causing me to let out a small moan. I can feel him smile against my neck, almost triumphantly.

I don't even realize the song is over until Dianne interrupts us letting us know our food is finally ready. I quickly pull away from him and embarrassment flows through me. It seems I got lost in his arms. She gives me a knowing wink and walks back behind the bar after setting our food down.

'You cannot get attached Alaina. He is not going to stay. He will leave you', my thoughts quickly remind me, screaming in my head so loud I can feel it echo off of my skull. 

As painful as it is to think about, I know it's the truth. 

Venturing back to our table, we sit in our chairs and peer down at the food place in front of us. We each have a bacon cheese burger, cheesy fries, and a Pepsi.

"This is good." Ryan states breaking the silence between us. His mouth is stuffed with so many fries he reminds me of a chipmunk with its cheeks stuffed full of nuts.

"I know right. You should try their ribs. They are my favorite. I bring Jason here all the time." I tell him putting a fry in my mouth.

"Jason?" He growls and I nod. "Your boyfriend?" Oh my Lord, he is jealous.

"No, he is only four." I laugh and he instantly relaxes. "Ryan, are you jealous of a four year old?" I tease, elbowing his side.

"No! Of course not!" He scoffs at the accusation and his cheeks are pink. I start laughing even harder. 

"You are but that's okay. I promise I won't tell Jason about our date. He gets very possessive." I chuckle, putting another fry in my mouth.

"I don't know if I like the fact of you seeing other men. I do not share. I happen to be very possessive of what's mine." He grins, but I can tell he is very serious.