Chapter 28

February 16, 2016

Austin, Texas

My whole body stiffens as I hear Ryan and Dustin chatting with one another as they walk in the barn. I wobble over to the corner of Flash's stall and hide.

Our baby boy will be here in two weeks and let's just say someone has put me on house arrest again. Well, not full house arrest.

Ryan does let me come outside to groom the horse's every day but that's it. Even after asking the doctor if I could still ride Flash and him giving the okay, Ryan still won't let me get on a horse.

It's been a never ending fight between us and I never freaking win. I know he is scared something bad could happen, but I know for a fact I will be just fine.

So, here I am today trying to sneak off and take a short ride, and wouldn't you know it's just my luck that the two of them decide to walk through the barn.

It's a good thing that I didn't have Flash saddled or anything. They just might have found me if so.

Their voices start getting farther and farther away and I let out a long breath I was holding.  I'm surprised I wasn't caught to be honest.

Flash nicker's at me. I swear he is laughing.

"Sshhh... You're going to get us found out." I whisper hiss and get to my feet.

I peak out the stall door and look down the walk way to see if anyone is there before I lead Flash out.

The coast is clear and I scurry out the door, Flash hot on my tail, eager to be out and about.

Finally saddled, I lead him out of the barn and to the far side of the house while my eye's scan for my wardens.

"Alright Flash, you stand real still so I can get on. It may take me a few tries so be patient." I tell him sternly, making him snort and shake his head.

My pregnant belly is going to make this difficult.

Fifteen minutes later, I'm still standing on the ground and about ready to pull my hair out. No matter how hard I continue to try, I cannot get my foot up in the stirrup to pull myself up.

Flash keeps looking back at me like I'm a crazy person, but has been a perfect gentleman none the less. Standing perfectly still.

"Need help?" I cover my mouth to cover up my scream, and turn around to see Dustin's girlfriend, Jennifer.

She is smiling at me and has a step stool in her hands.

"You about gave me a heart attack!" I hiss quietly, making her giggle.

"I have been watching you the entire time and figured I would help you. You looked like you were going to scream." She snickers.

I huff and narrow my eye's. "It's not that easy." I mumble.

"Hence, the stool." She smiles, gesturing to it.

She puts the stool beside Flash and holds my hand to make sure I don't fall. I almost roll my eye's but decide against it since she is helping me. She may just rat me out if I do something like that.

"Finally." I sigh as soon as my butt hits the saddle.

"You got that right." Jennifer chuckles.

"Oh, be quiet!" I grumble.

Ryan and Dustin's voices can be heard once again and our eye's go wide.

"You never saw me!" I hiss and turn Flash around.

"Jennifer, what are you doi-..." Dustin starts to say but stops.

Oh no! I've been had.

"Ryan!" Dustin yells.

What a squealer! See what I'm talking about.

I urge Flash into a run and here Ryan's voice yelling next.

"Alaina!" Not long after I hear the sound of horse hooves hitting the ground.

Shit!

"Stop right now!" He shouts.

I gasp when a wave of pain hits me and clutch my stomach. Flash doesn't even need to be told to stop on his own and senses something's wrong.

"Laina?" Ryan asks coming to my side.

He gives me a worried look, knowing something is wrong. He knows I wouldn't have listened to him and stopped Flash otherwise.

"What's wrong, Laina? Is it the baby?" He asks, putting his hands over my stomach.

"It hurts, Ryan." I whimper as another wave of pain hits.

He quickly gets off of Levi and gently pulls me off of Flash, carrying me bridal style back to the house.

"Dustin, take care of the horse's." Ryan barks.

"On it!" Dustin responds.

"I'll help him." Jennifer follows behind him.

Just as Ryan carries me up the porch steps, I feel my pants getting wet.

"Ryan! I think my water just broke!" I say panicked.

"Laina, look at me." He orders, so I do. "It's going to be alright."

All the worries fade away in that moment, because I know he's right.

{*}

"One last push, Alaina!" Dr. Bennett states firmly.

I push with all my might and squeeze Ryan's hand tightly, as sweat drips down my forehead.

The cries of our baby boy soon fill the room and a few happy tear's escape my eye's. I watch as Ryan cuts the cord, his eye's also filled with happy tears as he stares at his baby boy in amazement.

The doctors clean him up and weigh him, assessing everything.

"Can I see him?" I ask as soon as they seem to be done.

Dr. Bennett smiles from ear to ear as he carries him towards me, wrapped up in a blue and white blanket.

He sets him gently in my arms and a small gasp leaves my lips.

I do believe in love at first sight in this moment. He is absolutely perfect. 

"Hey baby boy. I'm your mommy." I whisper, putting my fingers in his tiny hands. He gives them a firm squeeze and I giggle.

I give him a quick kiss on his forehead and look over at Ryan.

His eye's hold so many emotions. But the one that sticks out the most... Love.

Complete and utter love. He smiles from ear to ear and kisses the both of us.

"You want to hold your son, daddy?" I smile at him.

He hesitantly nods, and I carefully hand him over.

"Hey, little man." He coos. "I'm your daddy. And I love you and your mommy more than anything in the world." He states.

I watch him react with our son and can't help but smile. He is going to be a fantastic father.

"What are you going to name him?" Dr. Bennett asks.

"Grayson. Grayson Anthony Adams." Ryan says and I nod.

I agreed to let Ryan pick the name when the time came. I knew he would pick a good one.

"It's perfect." I whisper sleepily.

"Go to sleep, baby. I'll watch him." Ryan says, giving me a quick kiss on the lips.

I nod. "I love you both."

"We love you more." He says softly, squeezing my hand in his.

I don't think life could be any better than it is right now, I think to myself as I slowly drift to sleep.