Chapter 24

July 25, 2015

(After Alaina and her Dad leave on their horses...)

Ryan's POV

"They've been gone a long time." Dustin says as he leads one of the horse's in the stall.

"I know." I sigh. "I think I'm going to go check on them and make sure she's okay."

"I'll come with you." He states and I nod in agreement.

"Get the rifle just in case." I order him. I didn't want to take any chances if they were fighting. God only knows how violent her father has gotten in the past.

We don't even bother to saddle the horse's and just ride them bareback.

If I know anything, they are more than likely at the pond. I'm positive Alaina would have wanted him to visit Kevin's grave.

I was planning on proposing to her there later today after her dad left. After she talked to him today she was going to tell him she didn't want to see him again. I think she just wanted closure to that bad part of her past. Closure from him and the memories.

All week she had been a nervous wreck about seeing him. I couldn't blame her. I was nervous too. I didn't trust the man. And I never would.

Not after I have seen what he has done to her. The thing's he's truly capable of.

That day I found him strangling her in the barn did it for me. Never would I have thought he would try to kill her, his own flesh and blood. But I was wrong. So very wrong.

The look in his eye's that day still haunt me. So distant and heartless. So cold and lifeless. It was like he didn't have a soul anymore. Maybe he still didn't. But for Alaina's sake, I hope he really had changed.

How wrong I was.

The sound of a gunshot filled the forest, spooking both of the horse's. My eye's went wide as I heard the sound of a horse screaming following right after. 

I kicked Levi to urge him into a gallop and we ran towards the pond. I had never been more scared in my entire life than I was now.

When Dustin and I reached the opening in the tree's, my heart stopped in my chest.

There laying on the ground, was a lifeless horse and my Alaina was laying right beside him.

I couldn't manage to move my horse from my spot as I watched her father hover over her with the gun pointed at her head.

Then I saw him get ready to pull the trigger.

"No!" I screamed.

Another gunshot filled my ear's and her father fell to the ground. I looked over to Dustin, who had the rifle aimed towards him.

I didn't even thank him before I was riding towards Alaina.

"Alaina!" I yelled jumping off of my horse. Bending down beside as I gathered her up in my arms.

The color was gone from her face and she felt almost cold to the touch. Blood slowly pooled out of her mouth and down her chin.

"Baby?! Open your eye's!" I begged but got no response. "Please, baby! Don't do this to me! I need you. I need you so much." I sobbed, pulling her against my chest as I rocked us back and forth. 

It was only when a hand gently touch my shoulder, giving it a squeeze, that I looked away from her.

"You need to get her back to the house. I called for an ambulance. I'll take care of everything else." Dustin said as a tear fell down his cheek.