Chapter 16

May 26, 2015

Austin, Texas

The road trip is long and boring as all get out. I think I have lost all feeling in my legs and butt after only stopping to get gas and a quick bite to eat. Ryan is following me in his Chevy pick-up truck. I have to say I miss being around him, although he is right behind me.

You've still got it bad, I giggle to myself. I do. I really do.

When we reach Austin, Texas, everything looks the same.

People wave now when they see me. My dad leaving, changed the way everyone saw me. Over half of them even apologized to me, saying how sorry they were and had no idea he treated me as badly as he did.

I guess they realized who the real issue was around here and have started to slowly accept me again. I still have problems with some people, but, for the most part now everyone is nice. 

*

Pulling into my driveway, I can't help but smile from ear to ear as I see the farmhouse come into view.

Home. It's good to be back.

I see, Dustin, my farmhand, sitting on the front porch swing drinking a beer looking as relaxed as can be. He must be taking a break from the Texas heat. 

When the sound of my truck reaches his ears, he gets up and comes down the porch steps as I get out of the vehicle.

"Alaina! It's good to see you. How did you do?" He asks with a bright smile.

He is 22, dark shaggy brown hair, about 6'2", brown eyes, he is built like a tank and has to weigh about two hundred and fifty pounds with all that muscle. But he still doesn't compare to Ryan.

"First place baby!" I say singing the words.

I hear Ryan behind me clearing out his throat. Dustin gives me a curious look after glancing at him.

"Oh, sorry. Dustin, this is my boyfriend, Ryan. Ryan this is Dustin, my friend and farmhand." They both shake hands.

Ryan is looking at Dustin like he is his next meal. That would be a fight to pay for. Ryan probably weighs the same but is a few inches taller. Both men are built like a brick house.

"Nice to meet you." Ryan says somewhat coldly.

"You too." Dustin murmurs back giving me a curious look. His eye's asking what the hell is going on.

"Okay, Dustin will you take care of Rebel and the trailer for me? I need hot bath and some food." I state walking away, not waiting for his answer. I hear him chuckle.

"Glad to see you haven't changed while you were gone, Alaina!" He shouts.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever you say, Doodie!" I yell back and snicker.

He hates that nickname. I gave it to him when we were mucking out the stalls and he fell in the wheel barrel full of horse poop because he wasn't paying attention. I cracked up and started calling him Doodie. He ended up breaking that wheel barrel after throwing it. Acting like it was its fault for sitting there. He had horse shit in places you would have never imagined too. He gets so mad because I will never let him live it down.

"Doodie?" Ryan asks raising his eyebrows as he walks beside me.

"Don't you dare tell him, A!" Dustin yells embarrassed. I'm positive his face is red.

"I will tell you later." I say to Ryan quietly who is shaking his head smiling as we walk into the house.

[*]