Chapter 9

After dropping off Andrew in his room and tucking him in for the night, Ryan and I head back to mine. I have no idea if he is just walking me to the door or what. The butterflies in my stomach are beginning to make me squirm. 

Why am I so nervous?

We get to my door and I unlock it. Before it even opens, Ryan scoops me up over his shoulder and grabs the handle, running into the room.

"Ryan!" I squeal but can't help but laugh heartily. 

He swats my behind causing me to yelp. He chuckles and puts me down on the floor, taking my hat off, along with his. He pulls me into his chest and gently rubs my back, kissing my forehead.

How I love forehead kisses.

"Do you know how long I've wanted to do this, Laina?" I shake my head no to answer. "I have wanted this since the day I left." He mumbles burying his face in my hair inhaling its scent in one deep breath.

I can't help but do the same. The smell brings back so many good memories of what we once had.

"Ryan, why did you leave?" I whisper, looking up into those beautiful gray orbs. Asking the million dollar question that has been haunting me for three years.

"It's complicated, baby." He answers sadly.

"Then uncomplicate it." I say firmly, looking him in the eye with a glare this time. He chuckles and shakes his head before he sighs.

"Yes ma'am. Let's sit down first and maybe have a drink. Your going to need one, as well as myself." I nod and take off my boots, then I un-tuck my shirt and sit down on the bed. 

Ryan gets us two Coors Light's out of the mini fridge, that I have stashed in there. Handing me one, he sits on the bed and cracks the lid open. My nerves begin to get the best of me as I sit patiently waiting for him to start talking.

"So, I just want you to listen. Don't say anything until I've told you the whole story." He warns and I nod in agreement and cross my legs Indian style, waiting for him to begin.

"The reason I left was because I was going to be a father." I still as soon as I hear his words. They were like a sharp blow to the cheek. 

A father? 

I'm sure the blood had drained from my face the moment those words filled my ears . He takes my hand and gently rubs the back of it with his thumb.

"The day I left, my dad called me that morning, cussing me out like no tomorrow. He said a girl had showed up at his doorstep, demanding him to tell him where I was. She had told him that she was five months pregnant with my baby. The timing seemed to add up. I panicked the second he told me. I didn't know what to do. My father told me if I didn't come back, he would call and tell you. I couldn't bear for you to know. I was so ashamed and afraid. I didn't want to hurt you, Laina. I didn't want to burden you with that. I loved you too much." 

"That day, I found some of your fathers whiskey. I drank all day, until just before you got home. I was so angry with myself, my dad, that stupid woman, and I took it out on you. I shouldn't have done that. That day has haunted me for three years. Replaying over and over in my head. The look on your face as I spat out all of those lies."

I look away from him. Those lies killed me. I would have rather been kicked by a horse than reminded of everything.

"When I got back to Tennessee, I met up with the woman, Stacy, was her name. I hardly knew her and just slept with her a few times. She played me good, I have to give her that." He chuckles almost spitefully.