Chapter 20

JUNE 19, 2015 

Austin, Texas

Pulling hem of my shirt up, I wipe the sweat coating my forehead. It's a hot one today in Texas and I'm beginning to feel the need to move somewhere cooler. I scoff at the stupid thought. I don't think I could ever leave Texas even if I wanted to. Years ago maybe, but not anymore.

 After mucking the last stall, I decide it's a good day to go swimming.The rest of the chore's can wait until evening when it's cooler. Screw it! I can't take the heat!

I have no freaking idea where Ryan or Dustin went today, and I don't plan on sticking around to find out. All I know is that the both of them are going to get a fucking earful for leaving me to do all the morning chores. 

Now, I don't mind doing my share of the work. After all, I used to do most everything myself a few years ago, but now, there is a lot more work to be done. Feeding the cows, horses, chickens, dogs, cats, branding what's left of the calves, mucking the stalls, tending to some of the horses hooves, fixing fence. The list goes on and on, and seems to never end.

Then, Ryan has taken it upon himself to buy a damn breeding bull, a Beefmaster. He is a very nice looking bull. Built, muscular, has a thick neck, and his coat is the color of dark red. But the damn thing is one mean son of a bitch.

That evil mother fucker is about to be turned into some hamburgers and steak if he keeps his shit up! The stupid bastard decided that he was going to charge after me and strand me up on the stupid hay wagon. I was stuck up there for over an hour and in this God awful heat! 

There was a time I thought he wanted a piece of me so bad I thought he was going to jump up on it with me. If it wasn't for my blue healer dog, Jessie James, aka J.J., I think I would have been stuck up there all damn day! That dog is getting a steak for dinner just for chasing him off.

I sigh and shake my head as I walk towards the house. I've already had quite the day and it's not even noon yet! I get to the kitchen and greedily gulp down a glass of water before going upstairs to get my bikini. 

Quickly, I change out of my dirty sweaty shirt and jeans and take off my stetson hat, throwing them in the hamper with clothes overflowing it. Growling loudly and stomping my foot in irritation. 

Ryan dirties more clothes than any person I've ever seen! I've already done four loads of laundry this week after he complained he was almost out of clean underwear.

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!" I yell and stomp my foot again, frustrated beyond belief. Just another thing I have to do before I go swimming, start a load of laundry. Storming over to my dresser and I pull out a drawer almost making it fall completely out. I roughly grab my bright pink string bikini and put it on and make sure to tie the top tight. I don't want anything to fall out when I ride Flash.

Grabbing the hamper, I start a load of laundry before heading out to get my horse. He doesn't seem to eager to be ridden because of the heat, but doesn't give me any trouble since I just ride him with no tack. I think he's grateful, which who could blame him.

He follows me out of the barn and I jump on his back. Out of the corner of my eye I see Ryan's black Ford truck pulling in the driveway, hauling a trailer behind him. I don't even want to know what's in it this time. If it's another bull, I will totally lose my shit.

I can see Dustin is in the passenger seat and they're both laughing about something. That laughing stops the moment they see the fury in my eye's.