The Night of New Beginnings

I had a very productive first day at the school. Everybody went their separate ways around five o'clock in the afternoon and made dinner plans for eight. "My first night in Korea and I'm already having dinner with the team? Progress!"  I thought.  Taehyung took me back to the hotel and told me to come to his room around seven thirty-ish so we could hit the road. They told me the place was fancy, so I took out my best dress and sat it out for later. Since I had time to spare, I thought I should call my boyfriend to check up on him. It was 8 a.m. back in the US, but I was pretty sure he'd be awake.

After a couple of rings from the dialing tone, he finally answered. "Dante?"

"Who is this?" To my surprise it was a female voice.

"I'm Dante's girlfriend. Who is this?" I snapped. I could hear his voice faintly in the background.

"Baby who is that?" I heard. I could not believe what I was hearing. "Hello?" He finally answered the phone.

"Who the hell is answering your phone and why are you calling her baby?" I snapped.

"She's just a friend," he suddenly started whispering. I heard a door slam soon after.

"A friend that you call baby? Dante I'm not stupid," I suddenly felt my heart get light. "I just left, and you're already cheating? You must've been talking to her while I was there too. 'Cause that was pretty damn fast if you ask me."

"Ash," he snickered. "Can you really blame me? I don't know how long you'll be gone."

"You could've talked to me about it first. I've always been straight up with you."

"You're right, and I'm sorry."

"Bullshit. I should've let you go when my heart told me to in the first place. Have a good life," I hung up.

My mood totally shifted and I couldn't think about eating. I'd always thought breaking up with him would be easy, but it's not until it happened that I actually realized that I'd taken a year out of my life just to love that man. I hated crying. To me, it seemed like a sign of weakness.. but I did. I cried myself to sleep. I couldn't help it, I was hurt. I eventually fell asleep against my will.

I woke up at exactly seven o'clock. I did a double take at my phone and jumped up. I didn't wanna bail on the team on my first dinner with them, primarily because it was initially arranged for me. I took a quick shower and threw on my fitted black dress. I put on a little eyeliner and a pair of heels. Thankfully, my hair stayed somewhat nice despite me sleeping on it. I got done at exactly seven thirty, which was a miracle to be honest. I turned off the lights, grabbed my phone and headed to Taehyung's room. I knocked twice.

He answered the door, well dressed in a suit and tie with his hair side-parted. He sure cleaned up nice.

"Wow, look at you," he smiled at me. I looked at him and smiled. I wanted to compliment him, but I hadn't spoken since my phone call with Dante, and I felt like my words would be shaky. "Are you okay?" He looked at me with concern in his eyes. I nodded and looked down at my feet. "I'm not convinced." He guided me in the room and closed the door behind me.

"Talk to me," he said sincerely.

"My boyfriend cheated on me. I called him when we got back to the hotel and another girl answered the phone."

"Are you sure it wasn't someone else?"

"He called her baby and almost made it seem like I was stupid for not thinking he'd cheat on me."

"How long have you two been together?"

"A year and some months now. It was a complete waste of time."