Nicolas - The Queen - err - Princess of Beryortha

The first thing I noticed about Beryortha was the sunny climate. There wasn't even a cloud in sight. In the mornings, a thick fog covers the ground. And my father wasn't kidding about the wealth. The parts I've seen are flourishing farms and wealthy cities. Everyone looks happy. I guess the queen can't be that bad. Not that I want to be a lowly guard, but I literally have no home to return to. Like what my parent says, Don't come back until you're married or at least learn not to embarrass us! Oh, gave me a break. I mean, my brothers are even older than I am and they aren't even married yet either. So the problem is my attitude. Not my fault I get bored a lot.

It's true that the queen needs a bodyguard, it was practically the talk of towns. Her butler recommended her to get one. According to rumors, the candidates must passed some sort of a test. Great news to me, huh?

My journey took a week. During those times, I panicked about where to go if I failed. My family can't be that cruel to leave me in the streets, are they?

The castle of Beryortha is very grand and big. To it's back side is a steep cliff near the sea, while it's front and right is surrounded by forests. To its front is a large town.

Being a prince, albeit a useless one, I go past the front guards easily. Score one for me, yay!

The hallways are cleaner than the hallways back home. And more grand too.

A butler announced my arrival. I bowed down to Queen Clarabella. In the position I'm in, I couldn't see her face.

"I heard that you want to be my guard." She said. Not true. Like I said, I didn't have much choice. "Many had decided to tried the tests. None had passed yet. Lift your face."

I did and to my shock, she couldn't be older than me! She is pretty with coppery golden hair and green eyes, although her eyes seem devoid of any emotions.

I blurted out, "How old are you?!" just as she said, "Aren't you a too young for the job?" We had a silent staring contest, daring each other to speak first and I finally gave in for fear of being rude.

"Your majesty, I am almost seventeen." I replied, hesitantly.

She spoked without showing any emotions, "I am sixteen and a few month old."

I remembered how her family had been assassinated only three years ago, so she would have been only thirteen!

"Are you officially a queen?"

"Not until I turned seventeen, though many addressed me as a queen because I am currently doing the duties of one."

Then she went back to the original subject. "If you wished to be my guard, you must beat me in three rounds of chess." She said, her face betraying no emotion. "Stefan, bring out the chess boards and the pieces." The butler that had announced my entrance obey without a word.

After setting up the board, she spoke to me, "You will go first."