Nicholas - The First Move

I heard a noise in the middle of the night. My first thought was assassins.

Now that Clarabella is becoming queen, everyone believed her life would be targeted more often. Because the ruler is always to blame for everything.

I immediately rolled out of bed silently and crept toward the door.

I listened for a while and hear footsteps.

I yank open the door and step out with a dagger in my hand.

"Oh," Clarabella squeaked in surprise. "Careful! It's me!"

I lowered my arm. "What are doing?"

"Going for a walk. Do you want to come too?" She gestured at the door at the end of the hallway.

"I supposed I have to, to protect you."

I followed her out to the garden.

"I can't sleep well, my coronation's in only two day! Can you believe it?" She jabbered as she walked toward a gazebo.

"What's the difference after it? Beside people calling you Queen Clarabella and not Princess." I asked, puzzled. "You never made a fuss about it before."

I felt a cold chill down my back.

"It means everything to me." She pushed open the door to the gazebo. "The crown gave me full authority and power. Such things are important."

"You never care about how much power you have, as long as no one is abusing it. You gave commoners a voice, and now you want to take it back?"

"They don't use their voice, much, do they?"

What is wrong with her today? Such obsession with power and authority. . .

Then it hit me. This isn't Clarabella.

Now I started to see the differences: this girl has darker hair and longer nose. Other than that, they are almost identical.

"Who are you?" I demanded, unsheathing my dagger.

"I am Elisabella, the sister of your princess." She sneered.

The princess that help murdered almost her entire family. The one that was exiled when she should be executed. And she came back.

Just then, someone grabbed me from behind and twist my arms behind me. The new person pressed a cloth over my face.

I struggled not to breathe in the fumes, but I couldn't hold my breath forever.

As my consciousness fades, I heard a man's voice said, "Now for your sister. . ."

I knew that voice. It belongs to Robert, the captain of the guards.

That traitor!