Clarabella - The Switch

I was woken by a round of sharp and urgent knocks. I sat up, groggily.

"Your majesty!" A voice called from behind the door.

That is not the way how I get up each morning. Then I noticed that it wasn't even dawn yet.

I got out of my bed and walk across the room in a few strides and yanked open the door.

"Sir Robert?" I asked, confused at his presence.

He put a finger to his lip and gestured me to follow him.

He whispered, "We received words that there was an assassin coming for you. Follow me."

He led me down a flight of stairs.

"Who sent the assassin?" I asked.

"We believed it's the same person who did it last time."

The assassin that Nicolas saved me from had committed suicide. Or was he murdered?

"Elisabella?"

Her name felt strange on my tongue. The mere thought of her sent shivers down my back.

"We don't know for sure."

"Where's Nicolas? Where are we going?"

"We are going to a special room. A group of soldiers and guards will protect you until we find this assassin."

I failed to noticed that he didn't tell where Nicolas.

He led me to a brightly lit room. I was blinded for a moment before I saw the girl sitting at a table.

I gasped in shock.

"Hello, sister," Elisabella smiled. "It's so good to see you again."

In one swift move, Robert slam the door shut. I heard a click as the door locked.

"You're working for her the whole time, aren't you?" I realized.

"Too late for that." He sneered. "Now you're stuck here and no one will save you."

I reached into the folds of my skirt and pulled out a dagger.

"Where's Nicolas?" I demanded, brandishing my weapon at the two of them.

"Somewhere." Robert replied, haughtily.

"What do you want?" I asked, angrily.

"Isn't it obvious?" Elisabella laughed. "I want revenge. I want the throne."

"You can't have it. You're just as bad as our brother." I pointed the dagger at her. "No one will let you."

"What if I am crowned Queen in your place?" She smiled evilly. "No one would find out."

"You're crazy!" I snapped.

"Look," Robert said, "You're outnumbered here. Just surrender."

"And let you slaughter me? I'm the one who's armed here."

"Not only you." They both took out a weapon. "And beside, we won't kill you yet. Maybe until you're no longer useful."

"Liars." I sneered back at them. My eyes scan over the room, searching for an escape.

Suddenly, I saw a hole on the wall oozing a weird smelling gas.

My attention snapped back to the two traitors, who were holding damp cloths over their face.

"What -" then it hits me. I quickly cover my face with my sleeves, but the fabric wasn't exactly made to block out the sleeping gas.

In a desperate attempt, I plugged the hole with my hand. It didn't work too well. The sleeping gas oozes between my fingers.

I could feel myself getting light headed.

Elisabella laughed. "Give up, sister. It's no use. I will be crowned queen in your place."

As I started to lose consciousness, I made a mental promise to tear this room down when I get back.