Clarabella - To Be A Queen

Hey readers! Thank you so much for your votes and comments. I know the ending was rather lackluster, so I updated a new chapter to make up for it.

It's been years since I wrote this. Today, I opened Wattpad for the first time in a few years, and I read this and was like, What the hell did I write? So anyway, I'm trying to write more often. I have a lot of ideas, but very little talent, so I'm not guarantying anything.

I'm gonna shut up now, enjoy the real last chapter!

************************************************

"You really ought to thank me, I just spared your life a second time." I remark to my twin sister after I visited her in the dungeon.

She glared at me in response. Her face was pale with dread as she waited hours for me to judge her fate. She took in my appearance with a sneer.

I have long swapped out my dirty gown for a new coronation gown as Elisabella was still wearing my original coronation gown. I deliberately wore my new crown during my visit to spite her.

"It was quite hilarious to see your faces when we showed up at the coronation. You really underestimated us, did you? I mean, what were you thinking?" Nicolas laughed.

"Shut up!" Elisabella finally snapped, shaking the bars of the prison door with her fists.

I stared at her right in the eyes, causing her to flinch.

"You do not get to tell us that." I reprimanded her. "You lost the right the first time when you murdered our family. You lost the second time when you tried to steal the throne from me, not that I desire it much, anyway."

Elisabella had to gut to look ashamed.

"Against my own judgement, I'm sparing you for the second time. This time, you will be kept in the Prisoner's Tower where I can keep an eye on you at all times. Don't try anything funny because the guards have full permission to kill you if they suspect anything."

"Why . . ." Elisabella collapsed to the floor. "Why did it turn out like this?"

I cocked my head at her. "You made your choices. You messed up big time - twice. If you weren't so heartless, I might actually feel sorry for you. But it's too late for regrets now." I turned to walk away from her and beckoned Nicolas to follow.

"You are weak! You're not fit to rule!" Elisabella called out as the distance increased between us.

Nicolas stopped in his track. "You're wrong. You're the weak one for choosing to do things a cowardly way. What's more, you don't even have the gut to do it yourself. You got other people to do the dirty work for you." He shot a look at Robert, who had chosen to remain silent the whole time.

"Clarabella is the strongest girl I know." He added. "Nobody is more worthy of the crown than she is."

It was a good thing he was behind me - he couldn't see me blush.

I walked out of the gloomy dungeon and make my way to the garden. My first day as an official queen has been beyond expectation. I sat down on a bench, weary and mentally exhausted. Paperwork would have to wait.

Nicolas joined me on the bench. He was probably just as exhausted as I am.

"You know, you are the captain of the guard now. We will make it official as soon as possible." I commented. He nodded in reply.

"Did you really mean it?" I asked nervously after a long moment of silence. Nervous? Since when was I nervous?

"Mean what?" Nicolas asked, confused.

"What you said when we were leaving . . ."

"Oh, that." He remembered. "Of course it was true. You're the strongest girl I ever met. You survived countless assassins and betrayals, and you refused to break down. You never back down from a challenge and you wouldn't hesitate to help out a friend, like that time you offer Star advice."

I could feel my visions get blurry with tears, but I refused to let them fall.

Nicolas seemed to sense it and continue, "You tried to harden your heart ever since your sister betrayed you. . . but you don't have to. You can count on people like me, like Star and Jason and Lucy and Stefan. I mean, Star and Jason are a bit narcissistic, but they do care about you. You don't have to pretend to wear a cold front all the time. It's okay if you want to take off your armor, it won't make you weak. And I will always be here for you."

And just like that, my tears fell. I wrapped my arms around him as he pulled me into a warm hug.

"Thank you." I murmured into his shoulder. "I really did have a lot of self doubts."

"You need to gave yourself more credits." Nicolas rubbed my back soothingly.

"And the part where you said nobody was more worthy of the crown than I am . . ."

"Oh, I said that mostly to spite her, but it's true. You, Clarabella, are an amazing girl. I could go on for hours, but believe me, you are a true queen. Trust me on this."

"I trust you." I whispered. It was perfect . . . well, almost.

Steeling my courage, I spoke up again. "Everything you said about me . . . It sounded almost like a love confession."

Nicolas face turn crimson. He stuttered out, "If-if it was, what are you going to do?"

My heart leaped as I threw my arms around his neck and kissed him full on the lips. Now it was perfect.

At the edge of the garden, two people were silently spying on the young couple.

When the queen and her guard finally kissed, the two silently cheered.

"I won the bet." Lucy smirked at Stefan. "She kissed him first."

"You just had to ruin this celebration." Stefan moaned in disappointment, but he couldn't stop smiling.

Lucy giggled. "Let's leave and give them some privacy. I knew they will end up together ever since I saw them dancing together at the Summer Solstice Festival."

The maid and the butler slipped away, leaving the young couple to their own happiness.

Now it's finally over. 😭 Thank you to all my readers. See you next story. 😉