Clarabella - Lies and Confessions

"What are we doing here, again?" Nicolas hissed in annoyance.

"Shush, I said it a hundred time already!" I hissed back at him.

He opened his mouth again, but I silenced it by shooting him a look. I pointed at the garden, where two figures emerged out of nowhere.

One of them was clearly Star, and the other one was a random soldier that I caught flirting with Star a few days ago. That was when I realized Star was up to her old game: breaking men's heart.

Of course, Nicolas is too blinded to see her suspicious acts.

I pointed at the couple. "Do you see?" I whispered without moving my lips.

He nodded. Just then, Star laughed at the boy and kissed his cheek.

"I told you so." I couldn't help saying.

After an hour of watching the two flirting and laughing, my cramped leg start twitching. Luckily, the two left just then.

We stretched our back as we scrambled from our hiding place. We hurried back to the palace as fast as we could.

"I told you! She's only playing with you. One day, she's going to become the heartbreaker queen." I snapped, although I don't know who I'm angry with.

He didn't speak for awhile.

"You're right." He said at last. "But she was just so nice -"

"Most traitors are the nice ones. Like my sister, like my maids and tutors." I stated, my voice faltering at the last sentence.

We walk to the third wing, the royal wing, where my bedroom was located. Unfortunately, we ran into Star.

Her face, which was flushed, turn pale. "What are you doing at this late hour?"

"Funny, we could ask the same of you." I said coldly.

"I couldn't sleep. I was about to get a drink of water. Nicolas, would you come with me? I'm afraid of the dark."

"No," I snapped. "He's here to protect me, not you. Go get it alone."

"But -" her lower lip wobbled. I couldn't take it anymore.

"We saw you, Star. With him. We know everything."

"I can explain!" She sobbed. "He was enamored with me and I didn't know how to reject him -"

"I might have believe you if you haven't done it many times. Beside, someone like you should have many suitors. Where are they now? Had you rejected them?"

She jerked back angrily. "Everyday, you have people who truly loved you. Not me, it's only my looks that attracted them. Now there's an old prince who wants to marry me. My parents won't let me reject him."

"So what? Go elope or run away. Or, spread rumors about yourself."

She dappled at her eyes with a handkerchief. "I hoped that rumors about affairs would changed his mind. It didn't work."

"Of course not!" Nicolas said. "Affairs happened everyday. Go make up some crazier ones."

"Like you caught a disease that turns you into a soul sucking creature at night! Pretend that you're descended from ogres!" I added.

She thought for a moment. "But how?"

"Get some of your servants to gossip to other servants. They will tell their master in return."

"But my reputation -"

"Forget your pride! The rumors would have no effect here. It will only affect the kingdom where the rumors started. Can you lie for yourself?"

She hesitated. "Yes."

"Who is this prince anyway?"

"Nick of Cathyador."

"Hey, isn't that my brother?"