Clarabella - The Summer Solstice Festival

Nicolas was right. I have been brooding over the flashback from last week. I should go and do something fun.

I managed to get a hold of a peasant's dress a few days later. It was a pale green with white lacy collar sleeves and collar.

At the dawn of the summer solstice, we snuck out through a secret passageway.

"How did you found out about them?" Nicolas asked. He wore a plain brown tunic with several daggers hidden.

"I escaped through it once." When the ways out of the royal dinning room were locked with me inside with a murderer and my family members' dead corpses.

Nicolas must have sense my thought and didn't say anything until we exited the passageway.

Outside, the sunshine feels warm on my face. The birds chirped merrily. We have emerged into the heart of the woods which surrounded one side of the castle.

"That way." I pointed through the trees. We ran through the woods before anyone could see us through the windows. The branches lash at us as we barrel past.

We reached the town in a few minutes. Even before we're near, we could hear music and laughing.

"It's market day." Nicolas said, looking at the goodies for sale. "What are those?" He gestured to a crate of berries.

"Those are blackberries. And that's strawberries. You never tried one before?"

He shook his head. "I wished I brought some money."

I grinned. "At least I'm clever enough to bring some." I reached into my pocket and tossed him some coins. "Go buy some."

After we have eaten our share of berries, cookies, and other delicious food for sale, we went to see the dance.

"Wow, they're fast." Nicolas said in awe as the dancers swirled across the ground.

I suddenly spotted a young man with black hair dancing with a young girl with hair the color of honey. I grabbed Nicholas's arm. "Do you see what I see?" I hissed.

"Yes!" He whispered back. The couple was actually my butler, Stefan and my maid, Lucy!

I started to giggled. "So that's why they want a day off!"

Nicolas started to laugh, too.

"Nicolas let's dance with them!" I giggled.

"Are you out of your mind! They're going to catch us!"

I glanced down at our humble clothes. "They won't even recognized us!"

I tugged him to the dance floor.

"Wait! I don't even know how to dance!"

"Just follow my lead!" I tried to show him the steps.

After a while, he began to improved, though I still must watch out for his foot.

We danced and have fun during the festival until sunset. Then we snuck back to the castle.

After we changed and hid our disguises, we went to my office where we pretended we were there all along.

We were there only a minute before a maid came running in, forgetting to knock.

"Your majesty," she bobbed a quick curtsy. "forgive me for the interruption. We looked everywhere for you. A visitor have arrived a few minute ago."

"Who?" I asked.

"Prince Jason of Alberyor."