Clarabella - Prince Jason

I gritted my teeth in annoyance.

Beside me, Nicolas looked confused.

"Who is Prince Jason?" He asked.

"He was my betrothed." I answered.

"Was?"

"The engagement was broken off."

"Was he that bad?"

"Actually, it wasn't that. When I was trying to find out who arranged my family's murder, everyone assumed I was dead, so he got engaged to another girl. When I came back, I told him not to break his engagement to her. It wouldn't work out anyway."

"Why?"

"The heir to the throne don't marry other heirs. If your spouse were to died, you would inherit both kingdoms and that's a lot of responsibilities."

"Oh."

I turned to the maid. "Go prepare a welcome party for him."

She curtsied and left.

I sighed. "Jason is very . . . Proud. Don't crossed him. I hate dealing with angry guests. I wondered why he came here."

"Maybe he regrets breaking off the engagement." Nicolas said.

"Don't be silly." I snapped. "That couldn't be it."

We walked out of my office in silence.

I went to the throne room to greet Jason. Jason was already in there, flirting with the maid from earlier. He is handsome, with blonde hair and blue eyes. He wears a scarlet tunic with gold embroidering with a jeweled belt. A sword covered with gems hung by his side.

"Greetings, Prince Jason of Alberyor." I said to him.

Jason's face light up when he saw me. The maid turned red and left.

"Clara, it's been so long since I last saw you!" He said enthusiastically.

I tried not to look too confused. Jason had never greeted me so familiarly before.

"Why did you came?" I asked, dropping the formal act.

"To see you, of course!"

"To see me?"

"Well yes. I came to ask you a question. Will you marry me?"

My jaw dropped. Behind me, Nicolas snorted.

"Aren't you already engaged?"

"Well, Henrietta died before our wedding. She was very ill."

"So you decided you want to marry me again." I said, annoyed.

"Yes, I regretted breaking off the engagement. Henrietta was nothing compared to you."

Nicolas sounded like he was on the brink of laughter. I shot a glare at him.

"Jason, heirs don't marry heirs -"

"It doesn't matter. We were engaged before, right?"

"My brother was the crown prince, then!"

"I -"

"I don't want to marry you!"

"You don't?" He asked, confused. "But you were all right with it before -"

"Before I became crown princess." I snapped. "And I don't want to marry a womanizer like you!"

"But I love you -"

"There must be many girls in your court swooning over you right now."

He bit his lip. "But none of them are as pretty as you are."

"Why should that matter?"

Before he could answer, Stefan came in to announce dinner.

"Stefan, you're back! How was your day?"

"It was fun." I remembered him dancing during the festival earlier today and had to suppress to urge to giggle.

Turning to Jason, I said, "We will finish this conversation, tomorrow." He nodded.

After dinner, I tried to think of a plan to get rid of him.

"I told you he regretted his decision to -"

"Okay! I get it!" I snapped at Nicolas.

"How are we supposed to get rid of him?"

"I don't know." I admitted. "I don't want to marry him. He flirted with every women in his court. I don't trust him to be a faithful husband."

"Not to mentioned, proud was an understatement. He practically worship himself! How could any lady possibly like him?"

"I don't know. Females have always been his weakness. I -"

"That's it!" Nicolas said excitedly. "Pretend there is a pretty damsel in distress and he'll come right to her."

"Really?" I ask, doubtfully. "He wouldn't go to any girl who ask for him."

"Then pretend it's from his parent, saying the prettiest lady arrived in court."

"That might work." I admitted.

"You write it, then."

"No, you pretend to be his father."

"Why his father?"

"Rumors says he have an eye for pretty women."

"Wow, weird things run in the family, I guess."

"Now, write it."

The next morning Jason claimed he have some important business at home. Nicolas and I tried not to laugh as he went home eagerly without finishing our conversation. It seems that he didn't love me after all.