The Funeral

They never found my parents' bodies. 

This should've given me hope, that somehow, somewhere, they were still alive, but instead it made me feel that they were being ripped off. Drifting aimlessly through space when they deserved to lie under a grand monument. A monument that would now stand over two empty, symbolic coffins. 

As I stood in front of the mirror, I realized this was the first time I had worn a dress since I was nine. Definitely odd for a princess. 

Note from Queen Saralee: I know what you're thinking right now. You're thinking "Oh, this is another one of those stories about the tomboy princess who ran away because everyone wanted her to be a perfect little girl." Sorry, but no. I loved dresses, and was actually pretty girly! I just didn't have a dress-worthy body back then- although the Iceheart Serum would soon fix that ;)

As I pinned back my hair with a diamond clasp, I couldn't help but peer through the air conditioning to Keilee's room next door. I gasped at the sight of her in her flowing black gown. If it looked awesome on the mannequin, it looked even better on her. I would look like the definition of awkward standing by her! Suddenly feeling self-conscious, I crossed my bony arms behind my back. 

"Princess Saralee? The Council has called for you," came a maid's quiet voice from behind the door. 

"Coming," I nodded, fastening my bun with a tiny, nearly invisible silver pin, putting on my sequined black flats (I had to beg Keilee to let me go without heels) and walking out the door. 

"Wow," Keilee chuckled when I walked out into the hallway. 

"What?" I snapped, bracing myself for a snide comment. 

"You actually look half decent," she shrugged. "With your fashion sense, I'm surprised you didn't walk out of there with an orange wig or something."

Note from Queen Saralee: Ugh I can't wait for the scene where I murder her! Oh wait, was that a spoiler? Nah, you guys have read Glitches. You know ;)

"With your fashion sense, I'm surprised you're wearing a dress you can actually breathe in. Although I wouldn't mind it if you suffocated," I smiled, turning away before she could react. 

"You can't make comebacks like that when I'm Queen, so ha!" Keilee scoffed. 

"I'm your sister!" I yelled over my shoulder as I skipped down the hallway to the Council room. "I can always make comebacks like that!" 

Keilee rolled her eyes and followed me. As soon as we were down the winding staircase, we were met by a sea of excited citizens, reporters, and paparazzi. Everyone was laughing and talking amongst themselves. 

The levity with which these people were handling a situation as grave as a royal funeral sickened me. If everyone wasn't wearing black, you would think we were at a victory celebration. 

"Princess Keilee! Princess Keilee!" A boy who looked about my sister's age pushed through the crowd, a gigantic bouquet of Linaberry blossoms in his arms. 

"What?" Keilee snapped. 

"My parents said these were for your parents...but I'd much rather give them to you," he grinned slyly. 

Flowers! This guy was giving my sister flowers at our parents' funeral! If only we were alone...I could think of a million ways to kill him painfully...

"Thank you for your concern," Keilee smirked, snatching the flowers out of his hand. "But I'm way out of your league." 

The boy's eyes widened with surprise and he walked away, more shocked than insulted. It wasn't the first time something like that had happened, people rarely expected Keilee's biting comments from a princess. 

"Spectators, please stand to the sides of the hall. The procession will soon commence," Chief Kandain, Armetorius's father, stated gravely. The people obediently backed up and a group of Ice Guards wearing black cloaks over their uniforms stepped into formation. They carried two heavily ornamented coffins between them and marched slowly toward the door. Keilee and I were the only ones who knew that they didn't actually contain my parents' bodies. All those Mystic Clan religious fanatics would go crazy about omens if they knew that the King and Queen were not properly entombed. 

"Princess," Armetorius raised an eyebrow signalingly and Keilee, Airel and I took hold of each other's wrists, walking behind the procession hand in hand. The Council members soon joined behind us, and the rest of the nobles behind them until the long train of people stretched almost to the back of the room. Then, finally, the gigantic back gates opened. 

The throngs of people dressed in dark colors with their heads bowed who had assembled in the courtyard looked like a black ocean. Only when I saw the somber expressions and on all of their faces and the black flags that replaced the typical Lessaenite Empire pennants atop all of the buildings did I fully understand what had happened. I would no longer go ice skating with my mother. I would never again hide behind my father's throne and pop out in the middle of an important Council meeting. No more family vacations or photos. All because of the Human Union. 

"People of Lessaenes," Chief Selaeyah Valior announced, and the gigantic Aurascreens zoomed in on her face. "For twenty seven long, happy years, King Khariel Arystenn and Queen Jessalyn LeDexe Arystenn ruled us. Yet, our great victory over the Human Union and the destruction of HUSS has been overshadowed by their loss today. But, we must not let this go to our hearts. They have left with us three of the most valuable gifts, their children." She paused for the applause as Keilee, Airel, and I stepped out of the shadows. Of course, I knew it was all directed at Keilee. After all, she was the Empire's perfect baby who everyone loved. I had gotten used to it by then. 

"They are the beginning of a new generation of leaders and thinkers. However, even the oldest of them, our beloved Princess Keilee, is not yet of age to rule. It is stated in the Foundational Manuscript of the Lessaenite Empire that a ruler of Lessaenes must be at least eighteen years old, and the oldest Princess is nearly sixteen. Until she turns eighteen, someone must watch over the throne. Lessaenes needs an honorable man with upright morals, because in the position of Regent, he could easily seize the Regalion for himself. We need one who is also intellectually and physically capable of coping with the stress of looking after an Empire. After careful deliberation, the Council has selected Chief Eldon Myers for this post." 

"What?" Keilee hissed in my ear. "I have to wait more than two years before I can be queen!

"Did you not just hear what Chief Valior said? Being Queen is not all summer palaces and state dinners. You need to have a lot of responsibility!" 

"This is why I'm older than you," my sister grinned. "If you were Queen, you'd spend your days toiling away like a commoner. I, however, am going to enjoy it." 

As my mother's younger brother, Chief Soren, talked about her, a team of seven Ice Guards marched onto the stage. 

"What are you doing? This is on live Auraview!" Chief Myers hissed. 

"We are sorry, Chief," the captain shook his head. "But we have urgent news to deliver to the people regarding our late King and Queen." 

"Very well then," Chief Myers nodded, handing the Ice Guard captain a mic. 

"I apologize for the interruption in the program, but our Ice Guard investigative teams have something to say. King Khariel and Queen Jessalyn did not die in the explosion of HUSS."

Gasps echoed through the crowd and my eyes widened with hope. 

"They were murdered, by a hired assassin sent personally by the President of the Human Union himself."

"No," I muttered, my hands clenching into fists as they began to glow blue with Aura. I strode purposefully to the front of the dais and grabbed the mic out of the captain's hands. 

"I will kill Drake Liermann!" I screamed, holding up my arms. "I will choke the life out of him with these two hands!" 

The crowd cheered widly, raising their arms in the air as they stared into my crazed expression. Soon, they were all chanting "die, Liermann, die!" 

A feeling of power and satisfaction flooded my body. None of the officials' long speeches had stirred the crowd as much as my two sentences. For the first time since my parents' death, I felt truly happy.