Extremely Political

"Oh, there you are!" I waved as Selaeyah walked out from behind the cliff, coming into view. "I've been looking for you!" 

"Sorry, I was just a bit late," she nodded apologetically. "Nyrrel called, there was a little mix-up in his order of flowers for our wedding. I had to sort it out immediately- wouldn't want anything but blue blossoms!"

"True," I laughed. "It's alright. We were just about to eat lunch," I pointed to the elegantly set table that hovered above the waves on bags of Aura. 

"We're eating...in the ocean?" Selaeyah raised an eyebrow. 

"Yeah!" I grinned. "It was Fenorel's idea. It's quite creative, isn't it?" 

"I would say it is too," she nodded. "But since it came from his filthy Rhenan-loving Keeper brain...no will have to do." 

"How could I have expected anything else?" Fenorel rolled his eyes as we Aura-skated up to the table. "Anyway, I'm sure you've heard, but my father is retiring soon. I will be Keeper Chief next week. At least you won't be able to get away with blatantly insulting me when I'm your equal, Chief Valior." 

"No, you cannot be Chief!" I fumed, my eyes flashing blue.

You must be King.

"Have I done something wrong?" Fenorel gave me a confused look. 

"No," I smiled slyly. "You've done something right."

"Saralee!" Selaeyah narrowed her eyes desperately. "You know, Nyrrel's twin brother, Tyrrel, is absolutely infatuated with you. Nyrrel tells me you're the only thing he ever talks about!" 

"Good for him," I rolled my eyes. 

"No, I'm serious!" She hissed. 

"Oh, come on, I thought the great Scientist Chief would be a better matchmaker than that. You and I both know that I could snap Tyrrel Wahtvane in half," Fenorel snickered. 

"And, not to mention the fact that he's five inches shorter than me!" I exclaimed. "Seriously, Selaeyah, why is everything about politics to you...even love!?"

"We are nobles," Selaeyah spat. "Our love has to be for money, family connections, or an increase in rank! It can't be about anything but clan politics!" 

"Come on," Fenorel sighed. "Why can't love be about...love?" 

"Yeah," I nodded. "It's not like I'm saying I'm going to go date some Rhenan off the street! Fenorel is the future Chief of the Keeper clan!" 

"Fine, then, if that's how you're going to be," Selaeyah snarled. "I really hope he doesn't...disappoint you," she said with venom in her words, standing up. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I must get back to Eskee Valley. I need to prepare for my extremely political wedding with a man whose family shares my political beliefs." 

"Yes, yes, I am sure that your wedding with Nyrrel Wahtvane will benefit your clan's political standing very much," I nodded tersely. "Because I'm sure that is the only reason a woman like you would marry a man with a face so hideous even the Iceheart surgery couldn't fix it." 

"Indeed," she smiled thinly. "See? I'm willing to give up my personal preferences for the good of my clan. Soon, you will see that you must do the same for your Empire."

A/N: Yes, the excessive use of the word "political" is completely intentional. I think it makes this funnier!