Royal Wedding

"Saralee, come on!" Selaeyah knocked on my door impatiently.

"I know, I know," I rolled my eyes. "Just as soon as I figure out which one of these shades of blue eyeshadow is just right..."

"You're going to be late!"

"I'm coming," I sighed, pulling the door open.

"Wow," Selaeyah grinned. "See? I told you you'd look gorgeous in that dress!"

"I think I look rather comic, actually," I sighed. "My hairdo is bigger than my head!" I gestured to the complicated, glitter-filled arrangement that covered my scalp.

"As it should be," Selaeyah nodded. "Now, we must get to the Sanctum before the passing of the auspicious hour! The Mystics wouldn't take it well if we missed the proper window of time for your marriage."

As I followed her through the hallways of the palace, I was pleased to see that Icicle Hall had been completely covered in glittery blue streamers and balloons the previous night.

"I need to go prepare for my entrance now," the Scientist Chief smiled softly as we reached the ornate double doors of the Sanctum. "Good luck."

"Thank you," I straightened my back in order to balance the watermelon-like arrangement on top of my head before entering Icicle Hall's topmost tower, a shrine to Lumys that was as old as King Airel himself.

The Sanctum was circular, and relatively small when compared to most palace rooms. A colossal statue of Lumys made of pure, white marble occupied the back wall, and the dome-like ceiling was an amalgam of original paintings by Lessaenes' most famous artists. King Airel's spear and Queen Thalayna's crown, the Empire's two most valuable historical artifacts, rested in their individual glass cases in the center of the hallowed space.

Because of the room's size, only a small group of elites was allowed into the Sanctum to witness the actual wedding. Auraview teams relayed the proceedings live to a huge audience in the many courtyards outside.

"Oh, dear," Fenorel smirked as I joined him on the makeshift dais directly across from the statue of the moon goddess. He shoved his hands into the pockets of his slacks, his cheeks turning slightly red as he tried to suppress his laughter.

"What?" I spat.

"That gown..." He trailed off. "It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Especially on you, because you're, you know, usually so fashion-forward."

"It was Selaeyah's idea," I sighed. "I don't know how she thought you'd find it attractive. Or how she thought anyone would find it attractive, really."

"I was actually about to ask how on Lessaenes you manage to make that poofy, nineteenth century piece of cloth look good."

"Smooth."

There was a smattering of applause as the noble couples assembled on either side of Fenorel and me in order of rank. First came Enden and Eleanna, followed by Nyrrel and Selaeyah, Fenorel's parents, Armetorius and Aviona, and finally Derwel and Jenelle.

"Congratulations, Saralee!" Eleanna whispered, discretely turning her head. "It's an honor to work with you."

"I could say the same to you," I smiled. "I've never met another so loyal."

Note from Queen Saralee: The sad part is, I wasn't even being sarcastic!

.....................................

Raliyel Novisty hurried to the crowded gates of Icicle Hall, pushing her way past the throng of enthusiastic citizens bunched up in the shadow of the majestic palace, trying to catch a glimpse of the new King and Queen when they emerged from the Sanctum. 

"Excuse me!" she yelled, waving her hand to get the nearest Ice Guard's attention. "I need to get to the Sanctum!" 

"Invitation?" He raised an eyebrow. 

"What invitation?" Raliyel frowned. 

"Chief Valior should've mailed you a personalized invite a couple of days ago. Where is it?" 

"That's...odd," Raliyel's eyes darkened with fear and surprise. "I never received any invitation." 

"Then you're not allowed to see the actual wedding. You can wait here with everyone else, Queen Saralee will go up there to give her speech in a little over half an hour," the Ice Guard gestured to an ornate balcony about five stories above his head. 

"But...you recognize me, right? I have to see the wedding!" 

"Of course I recognize you, Miss Novisty, but you must understand that I have to follow protocol," the Ice Guard gave the Rhenan Iceheart an apologetic look. 

"I understand," Raliyel stepped back, rejoining the crowd. 

It was Selaeyah. It had to have been Selaeyah. 

Oh, why did the Queen have to give the responsibility of distributing the invitations to her of all people?

She craned her neck, looking up at the Royal residence with despair. That was when she noticed a flicker of movement out of the corner of her eye. Turning her head, she saw a tiny Rhenan slave with a basket of soiled linens in her arms exiting a little side door. Noticing that Raliyel was looking at her, the frightened girl let out a shrill squeak before disappearing into the shadows. 

As she looked from the nondescript door through which the slave had come to the Queen's grandiose balcony, an idea formed in Raliyel's mind. 

It was time to do something she hadn't done in a very long time.