Tragic Victory

Viviana didn't cry when she was born, like a normal baby would.

She screamed.

She wailed like the world was about to collapse on her head, and it took my best efforts to console the newborn, finally calming her enough to gently set her down beside me. 

I lay helpless in bed, unconsciously rubbing the back of tiny Viviana's head, when Ilsa Veren, Supreme Commander of the Ice Guard, rushed through the door. 

"I apologize very much for disturbing you at such an improper time, Your Majesty, but I have extremely important news to share with you." 

"Yes?" I slurred, still in a medicine-induced haze. 

"Our fleet performed exceptionally well in the battle last night," she beamed. "We were able to drive the humans out of our solar system, destroy half of their warships, and force them to retreat to Earth. There, President Blackstone officially surrendered to King Fenorel. The Galactic Wars are over. We won! Earth is yours!" 

My heart raced with excitement at this announcement, and I almost immediately snapped out of my slow, sleepy state. 

"We did it! Yesssss!" I shouted in a burst of unprecedented joy, temporarily forgetting royal convention. 

"Come here," I lifted Viviana lovingly onto my lap. "You really are my little miracle. You brought me victory!" The baby opened her eyes for the first time in response, and I was taken aback by the beauty and power that radiated from her brilliant, violet eyes. They were just like mine. 

"What are your orders?" Ilsa asked politely. 

"We shall have a feast the likes of which Glaisse has never seen before!" I declared. "No one in the Empire shall work for the next two weeks, not even Rhenans! Prepare the ballroom...we're going to party all day and all night!" 

I grinned, anticipating Fenorel's return. He would see his new daughter for the first time just hours after conquering Earth. I could see it happening before my eyes already; it would be a moment I'd never forget. 

As I hugged Viviana to my chest, careful not to suffocate her, I heard the door creak ominously open. After Ilsa left, I was surprised to see Liretta Seau step through the doorway, her head held low and her hands clasped behind her back. Her heavy demeanor confused me. She should've been jumping for joy!

"I'm so, so sorry, Queen Saralee..." She trailed off, her eyes glistening with tears that threatened to fall. 

"What?" I cocked my head to the side, confused. 

"I truly hate to be the bearer of bad news, especially during such a happy time, but..." 

"But what?" I pressed on, leaning forward in bed. 

"I-I can't!" She gasped, pressing her palms to her face as she sobbed. 

"Tell me!" I roared, unable to bear the tension. 

"King Fenorel was on his way home after dictating the Human Union's terms of surrender. They brought out a whole barrel of halfie juice on his ship and were so caught up in their celebration that they didn't notice the little cruiser that pulled up next to them. Masked agents breached the security system and entered the ship. The King was determined to avoid any further casualties, so he went out onto the deck to fight them and..." 

"And what?" 

"He didn't come back." 

For a second, I was frozen in place, as my brain tried to make sense of what she had said. 

"I am so sorry," Liretta shook her head as she ran out of the room. 

"No..." I whispered, my fingers digging into the sheets as I rose from the bed, forgetting about Viviana. "No!" I choked, this time with more earnest, as my Aura ballooned, spiraling out of my control. The world swam around me, bombarding my already overwhelmed brain with distorted sensory data. 

"Fenorel!" I screamed, stumbling over my silk nightgown as I exited the room and then the medical wing, running through one of Icicle Hall's courtyards with no particular destination in mind. Liretta's words rung in my mind as I entered the palace's main building, randomly running up flights of stairs and through hallways, consumed by shock and grief. 

Somehow, I found myself in front of the ornate double doors of the Sanctum. Without thinking, I entered the small, circular room to find it dimly lit and completely empty. The first thing I laid my eyes on was the ceremonial knife with its jeweled hilt, sitting as usual on its silver platter. Bittersweet memories flooded my mind as I recalled standing at that very spot with Fenorel, cutting my palm and pressing it to his.

"You're so perfectly devious." 

I could almost hear his voice in my ear, so close, so real...

I sank to my knees before the statue of Lumys as sobs shook my body. Once a calm place of refuge, the Sanctum too had become a source of pain. Everything was already starting to remind me of him...it was going to drive me insane. 

No, I can't live like this. 

Grabbing the ceremonial knife, I drove it into my neck, watching as bluish blood splattered across the pure, white tile. Yanking the blade out, I realized that the wound was already beginning to close. I had felt almost no pain. 

I can't even commit suicide. 

As I sat there, motionless, my cries of grief slowly turned to laughter. It was hollow, maniacal laughter, a mixture of contempt, disbelief, and the fact that I simply had no idea what else to do. 

"Saralee...are you laughing?" I turned my head to see Armetorius standing on the opposite side of the room, giving me a strange look as he eyed my blood soaked attire. 

"I think I'm finally going crazy," I grinned, standing up. However, my effort to approach him was entirely unsuccessful. I nearly topped over, but Armetorius managed to awkwardly catch me. 

"You shouldn't be running around like this," he advised, his voice edged with concern. "You've just given birth. You need to rest." 

"I'm fine," I asserted. "I want you to send a message to the Human Union. Tell them I don't want their planet- they're free. We'll draft a peace treaty as soon as I'm ready." 

"You're right," Armetorius stared at me, his eyes practically bulging out of their sockets. "You are going crazy." 

"Listen!" I hissed, gripping his collar in desperation. "They killed Fenorel! It wouldn't be fair if we just enslaved them. Let them think they are safe for now. Then, when they are least expecting it, we will return. We will make it rain nuclear bombs! We'll blow their planet to pieces! None of them will live. Not a single one! I swear to Lumys, I will exterminate them like the little insects they are!!" 

"Saralee..." 

"If you thought I was evil before, you were wrong," I cackled. "All happiness is gone from my life. From now on, I exist for one purpose and one purpose only: to see the extinction of the human race with my own eyes! I am the personification of wickedness. I am the Ice Queen of Lessaenes!" 

THE END

A/N: That's it! Thank you so much for reading this book! Be sure to follow the rest of the Books of Lessaenes on my profile if you liked it :D 

-Queen Sara