The Coronation

The ceremony continued as normal, as if nothing had happened at all. Most people were, I guessed, too afraid to mention the interruption or too haughty to pay it any mind. This was the Elitia. 

"Psst! Sara!" Keilee nudged me when it was time for her to be crowned. 

"What?" 

"Give it to me!" 

"Give what to you?" I smirked, though I knew full well what she was talking about.

"You know! That!" She hissed.

"Right, of course," I giggled, reaching into the fold of my sash, pulling out a tiny index card, and passing it to Keilee behind her back.

"Princess Keilee, please step forward," Chief Kandain gestured warmly, and she slowly walked to the edge of the dais, her steps uneven with giddy excitement.

"It is now time for the moment we have all been waiting for. Princess, please take your vows."

Fitting the index card perfectly into the palm of her hand so that it was invisible to onlookers, my sister began to recite the oath. I couldn't help but snicker at her idiocy. She was too lazy even to memorize the most important thing she would ever have to say in her life!

"I, Keilee Adrialle Arystenn, solemnly swear that as long as I am physically and mentally able, I will serve the Lessaenite Empire as its supreme ruler to my full capacity. I will fulfil all tasks required of me by the Foundational Documents and additional duties that may be required of me in special circumstances. May the blessings of Lumys be upon the Empire!"

As she concluded, an Ice Guard in a shiny ceremonial vests approached us, carrying a scintillating silver tiara edged with perfectly polished sapphires.

Note from Queen Saralee: Hey dude...HAND IT OVER!

"May the blessings of Lumys be upon you, Queen Keilee," Chief Kandain grinned as he carefully placed the crown on my sister's head.

An expression of pure elation crossed Keilee's face, but it quickly turned to a frown when she saw herself on the Aurascreen.

"The sapphires on the crown go terribly with my red gown," she whispered distastefully.

Note from Queen Saralee: You just became the Queen of THREE planets and you're worried about the CROWN not going with your OUTFIT??? See, girl, this is why you're dead.

I gave her a look of disbelief before the royal anthem of Lessaenes was played and the nobles began to exit the stage, followed by Keilee, Airel, me, and the cheering crowd.

"OMG I'M THE QUEEN!" Keilee squealed as soon as we were back inside Icicle Hall. She grabbed both of Airel's hands and did an awkward dance before practically throwing him at the wall and starting to waltz around the room.

"Pri-Queen Keilee...are you alright?" Armetorius raised an eyebrow.

"No, I'm not!" She screeched in mad glee. "I'm ECSTATIC!"

Note from Queen Saralee: What are you, five years old?

"Do you think we should, uh, leave her alone for a while so she can...get over her excitement?" Armetorius asked, nudging me gently.

"That wouldn't do much good. She's not just excited," I shook my head. "She's insane."

"Got that right," Armetorius snickered. "You would make a much better Queen than her."

Note from Queen Saralee: The wisest words that ever came out of my wise advisor's mouth.

"Shh! She's right there!"

"Hey, Armie, how many hours until the ball?" Keilee yelled.

"I'm sorry, Queen Keilee, but I'm not your watch! And I hate that nickname!" Armetorius spat sarcastically.

"How dare you speak like that to your Queen?" Keilee scowled.

"The commoners are afraid of you, they'll treat you well no matter what, but you have to earn the nobles' respect. Every monarch does."

"Who made that rule?" She asked, and when there was no answer, she continued. "Well, I don't care, because I'm the Queen now, and I can change it!" She huffed, before returning to her joyous mood and prancing around the palace.

"Armetorius...let's go," I said quietly, and the two of us, followed by Airel, walked up the stairs and into my room, where we simultaneously collapsed onto my canopied bed.

"She's an idiot!" Airel spat.

"A shallow brat!" I added.

"With her as Queen, the humans could win the war without even trying!" Armetorius fumed.

"You won't believe this," I shook my head. "But right now, I'm actually rooting for the dang Flame! At least Rhenan rebels have brains!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down, Sara," Armetorius put his hands up. "Princess Saralee the Flame hater, the fiery defender of the Empire, just said..."

"Yes! I did! I'd rather be ruled by rebels than my stupid sister!"

"Then perhaps we should...you know," Armetorius whispered. "Get rid of her, maybe? We'd be doing the whole Empire a favor. Queen Saralee of Lessaenes..sounds awfully nice," he grinned.

"No!" I gasped in shock. "Even though she is a pea brained, snobby twit, she's my sister. I could never live with the guilt."

Note from Queen Saralee: NO NO NO YOU STUPID LITTLE GIRL!!! Wait a second...that's me.

"Fine, take your pick," Armetorius shrugged. "Your family, or your Empire."