Dinner...and Fenorel

Fenorel Soren danced with me, the single most awkward person in the room.

He danced with me and me only.

Normally, you'd expect a guy like Fenorel to be talking to so many people he wouldn't have any time to even dance at all, yet, today, he ignored all his fans.

Eventually, I stopped wondering why, and just went with it, relishing every one of Keilee's twisted, envious looks. This was the one time I had something she didn't, and I was going to enjoy it!

"Do you really believe we should pursue a treaty with the Human Union?" Fenorel asked as we stood by a dark wood table laden with pitchers containing various drinks.

"At this moment, no. We should continue with the war as we've been doing. Although they seem very cooperative and open to negotiation, that may not necessarily mean they want peace. I personally suspect that they just want to buy time. Call a ceasefire so they can cut their losses and replenish their supplies. What would be the point of a brief period of peace, when it would just lead to another war against a stronger, refreshed enemy?"

"Interesting insight," Fenorel nodded. "Far more thought out than I'd expect from a fifteen year old. Even the Warrior Chief's advisors all feel we should pursue negotiations! You're quite intelligent...and charming," he said the last word softly, as if he didn't want to be heard.

Did Fenorel Soren just call me charming?

I felt myself blushing and quickly turned away. What was wrong with me?

Note from Queen Saralee: You're in love, that's what's wrong with you ;)

"Looks like the Queen's made the call to dinner," Fenorel gestured to the long banquet tables that rose noiselessly out of the ground as chairs unfolded from their sides. Servants brought in platters of steaming delicacies that made my mouth water, and I eagerly sat down beside my sister.

"Ah, Lord Soren, it has been a delightful evening, hasn't it?" Keilee batted her eyelashes, trying desperately to steer Fenorel's attention away from me.

"My evening has been quite amazing," he beamed, and Keilee politely smiled back.

"Solely because of Princess Saralee." The Queen's smile dropped off her face.

"Well...I'm glad you're enjoying my coronation ball," she said through gritted teeth.

Her expression grew even more enraged when Fenorel sat down to my right and we continued to discuss the war, a subject she was not fond of and knew absolutely nothing about.

"Linaberry pie for dessert!" I gasped with delight, piling a gigantic piece of the thick pie onto my plate when I was finished with my bowl of fried selkyn.

"I love Linaberry pie too!" Fenorel laughed, and we began to greedily bite into the warm, chewy dessert.

"You eat like a pig," Keilee whispered into my ear. "And look like one too." She smirked, and I instantly felt blinding pain in the exposed top of my foot. I began to tear up, biting my lip to keep myself from crying out in pain.

I silently hissed as Keilee drove the extremely sharp tip of her heel into my foot. That would certainly leave a bruise.

"Payback. For stealing Fenorel."

"He was never yours in the first place."

Note from Queen Saralee: OHHH BURRRRRN!!!

I grunted as she twisted her heel once again.

"Are you alright, Princess Saralee?" Fenorel asked with concern.

"Mm...yes," I said softly.

"You have incredible self control, but I'm not blind. I can see under the table," he frowned. "That was quite improper...for a Queen."

Keilee gulped.

"I've lost my appetite," she placed her fork and knife daintily by the sides of her plate and left the table, her long brilliant green gown trailing behind her.

"Thank you...again," I smiled at Fenorel before getting up, my injured foot buckling under my weight.

High heels are really, really sharp.

"Do you need help?" Fenorel asked, his eyes growing wide at the sight of the large, purple bruise that was already starting to form on my foot.

No, but if it's from you...

"Yes, please," I gasped, grabbing onto the side of the table.

Fenorel wrapped his left arm around my shoulders and helped steer me to the door, where I willingly collapsed in a window seat.

Pulling off my left shoe, I placed my bare foot on the seat in front of me, before summoning Aura into my hands and pressing them into the bruise. I sighed with relief as my foot began to glow and the pain subsided, leaving only a dull ache. When I removed my hands, the bruise was not nearly as conspicuous.

"Wow, I didn't know you could do that with your Aura," Fenorel smiled.

"Only the gifted can use their Auras to heal themselves."

"Wait...gifted, as in the Royal Gift? You inherited it, not Queen Keilee?"

"Yeah," I beamed with pride.

"Why am I not surprised?" Fenorel gave me a goofy grin, and we both broke into fits of laughter.

"You're so perfect, Princess Saralee," Fenorel smiled, holding my hand and helping me up.

"Call me Sara," I whispered.

"Whatever you say, Sara."

"Saralee! It's time to go!" Keilee said crossly, standing in the doorway with her arms crossed.

"But it's only eleven! Your parties always go through midnight!"

"You are still under eighteen," my sister rolled her eyes. "And you have things to do tomorrow."

"Oh, it's over?" Fenorel asked, standing up and preparing to leave.

"Oh no! You're welcome to stay as long as you want!" Keilee giggled. "We just wouldn't want kids staying up too late."

"I'm not a kid!" I protested. "I'm fifteen!"

"Yes, you are!" Keilee yelled. "Now leave! As if you haven't embarrassed me enough already!"

I reached down to grab my shoe, when I felt Fenorel's breath on my ear.

"Meet me tomorrow first thing in the morning, in the garden. There's something I need to show you before I have to go back to Rhena."

I gave him a small smile to let him know I had heard before hurrying away, up the stairs, and to my room, where I collapsed on my bed, not even bothering to take off my gown.