Awakening

3 years later...

*Little Tara*

*Little Tara*

I snuck into Tara's room, a small box tucked under my arm. As I entered, gently turning the brass doorknob, I found my daughter surrounded by her dolls, dwarfed by her colossal, canopied bed.

"Good morning, little princess!" I chirped, sitting down on the side of her bed.

"Mommy!" She gasped with pure delight, snuggling up to my side. An encounter with either parent is a rare treat for a royal child- the Monarchs are always so busy.

"I brought you something, cupcake," I smiled, placing the box down on the bed.

"Linaberry tart!" She clapped her chubby hands together jubilantly after inhaling its sweet scent.

"That's right," I laughed. But, you have to pass a test first."

Using my Aura, I created four blue orbs approximately the size of beach balls, each shaped like one of the four life supporting planets.

"Home," Tara gurgled, pointing to Lessaenes.

"Peasants," she scoffed, donning her two year old version of a snobbish scowl as she pointed to Kilaenas.

"Slaves," she gestured carelessly at Rhena.

Then, she picked the fourth orb, representing Earth, up in her arms and threw it violently to the floor, smashing it.

"Wonderful!" I planted a kiss on her forehead. "You are such a fast learner! Here you go."

Before I could completely open the brown box, Tara had literally pounced on it, stuffing her cheeks with the warm dessert.

"Hey," I warned. "Eat like a princess."

"Sowwy," she apologized softly, her mouth still full of tart.

"It's alright," I sighed, patting her head. How could I not forgive the most adorable creature on Lessaenes?

Suddenly, in the middle of a bite, she stopped in her tracks, clutching her head.

"Owie!!!" She wailed.

"Did someone hurt you?" I spat, my eyes flashing blue. "I will burn their arms off!"

Tara sneezed, and my heart fluttered when I saw the tiny blue cloud that emanated from her mouth.

"She's Awakening!" I yelled, scooping her up in my arms and dashing out of her room, startling several servants in the hallways.

"She's Awakening! Princess Tara is getting her Aura!" I rushed to the main hall, placing Tara on the nearest stool.

"Quick!" I shouted. "Tara is Awakening! I want this on live Auraview!"

At my request, several Auraview stations along with Fenorel arrived on the scene.

"Does your head feel like it's about to blow up?" Fenorel asked as he entered the hall.

"Yes. It's owie, Daddy!"

"Good," he grinned, turning to me. "It's coming."

"Very owie!" Tara whimpered, tears streaming down her cheeks as Auraview cameras zoomed in on her face.

"Just let the Aura come out," I advised her, holding her hand. "Push it out, and the owie will go away."

"Step away!" Nyrrel, the Royal Aurologist, pushed through the crowd, crouching in front of my daughter as he waited. 

Finally, Tara let out an agonized scream, her face red from the strain, and jets of silvery blue light shot out of her body.

"Yay!" I gushed, pulling the tiny princess into a tight hug. "Look, Tara! You're a real Lessaenite now!"

"Alright," Nyrrel began, removing an Aural probe from his pocket and placing it on Tara's cheek. "Very healthy Aura," he nodded. "Very Royal too, with all that lovely silver. However..."

"However?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Please don't incinerate me!"

"Alright, I won't."

"Promise?"

"Promise," I rolled my eyes.

"Your daughter doesn't have the Gift," Nyrrel sighed, his eyes turning to the floor.

"No!" I shook my head in disbelief, looking down at Tara's face. She was so intelligent, so quick and well behaved...I had never even considered the possibility of her not inheriting my Gift!

"She carries the gene, it's just dormant," Nyrrel explained. "So her children will still have a chance of being born Gifted, if that is any consolation."

I stomped my foot furiously, giving Tara a disgusted look.

"Mommy mad?" She whimpered, tearing up.

"Not at you," I pursed my lips, lifting her off the stool.

What was wrong with me? I couldn't even have a proper child!

Pulling my cape closer about my shoulders, I dashed off to the Royal suite.