Fenorel

I had found a lime green dress to wear for the Keeper heir's visit at the last minute, and put it on despite Keilee's protests about it's ugliness being an embarrassment to her. As if she was the one wearing it! I could've certainly done better if I had the time, but it wasn't like I cared about what Fenorel thought of me. With so many girls worshiping the ground he walked on, there was a 99% chance he was a conceited jerk.

Keilee, Airel, and I gathered on the balcony to watch as a car emblazoned with the Keeper crest pulled up in front of Icicle Hall. It was almost instantly mobbed, and some people were even crazy enough to start banging on the windows and screaming! It took at least ten Ice Guards to push the crowd far back enough for Fenorel to get out of his car!

Note from Queen Saralee: Ah, the utter stupidity of people and the world. It never gets old.

He was wearing a red button down shirt and brown pants, and even from up on the balcony, I could see that he was tired and flustered. Almost every girl in the crowd was waving to him, but he didn't bother to wave back at all. Okay, maybe he wasn't as bad as I thought...

"Well," Airel poked Keilee, who stood, motionless, between the two.

"What?"

"Aren't you going to wave?" He gave her his classic Airel eyebrow wiggle. "You've been obsessing over that guy since you found out that he existed!"

"You're such a dumb little kid sometimes," Keilee rolled her eyes. "I don't want to look like just another desperate fangirl, I want him to think I'm different, better. I want him to notice me!"

"It's rather hard not to notice a bulldog in a frilly dress and a crown," I shrugged.

Note from Chief Armetorius Kandain: The Saralee slay; the only thing in the universe that can combine mean, hilarious, and dumb. Mostly dumb.

Note from Queen Saralee: Who gave you permission to comment on my biography? And my slays are pure awesomeness.

Note from Chief Armetorius: The author.

Note from Queen Saralee: Eh...good point. But remember the Ice Queen is awesome!

Note from Chief Armetorius: Of course.

"I choose not to respond to your comment," Keilee said evenly, turning away from me to stare at Fenorel so intently, it was like she thought she could make him look up at her with her eyes.

"I think he's coming up into Icicle Hall!" My sister exclaimed, pointing to the crowd, which was now dispersing. "Quick! Leave, Saralee, Airel! I don't want any stupid little kids embarrassing me in front of him! I'm going down to receive him with the Council."

"Sure," I shrugged. I didn't want to deal with an angry Keilee, and I didn't care about Fenorel anyway.

You don't care about Fenorel, it scared me how many times I had to remind myself of this fact, but I made sure that I did. I chanted it to myself like a mantra as I walked over to the railing to watch Keilee, the Council and Fenorel below us.

"Princess Keilee, it's an honor," Fenorel smiled.

"The honor is all mine," Keilee beamed, holding onto his hand for a second longer than customary while shaking it.

"You look lovely today, Princess," the Keeper heir continued. "From the looks of it, you're quite prepared for your coronation tomorrow. I suggest that you be careful, you'll be in an open space with your guards farther away than usual. We are at war, and things do happen..."

Note from Queen Saralee: I wish.

"Thank you for your concern," Keilee winked, twirling a strand of lush, curly black hair around her finger. "But I'll be perfectly alright."

"Surely," Fenorel gave her a confused look. "It was only a precaution," he slowly stepped away from her, clearly uncomfortable, and quickly made his way through the crowd to the hallway where an Ice Guard waited to show him to his suite.

"See you at the coronation!" Keilee called after him. There was no response.

......................................

"He didn't even look excited to see me!" Keilee whined, pulling the silk strings on her coronation gown so tight I was surprised she didn't start oozing blood.

"Maybe that's because he wasn't," I shrugged as the dressmaker made a mark on the bottom of my dress where it needed to be hemmed and on the sleeve where it needed to be shortened. Ugh, how I hated being small.

"Of course he was! He must've been! I'm about to be the Queen, I'm around his age, and I'm stunningly beautiful!" She blew a kiss to her reflection in the full length mirror in front of her. "He must just be tired. Everyone is after interstellar travel."

"Keep telling yourself that," I smirked. The dressmaker signaled to me that she was done and I pulled the heavy gown over my head, revealing my white tank top and cotton underskirt. I gasped at the sight of myself in the mirror. I seemed to have gotten scrawnier, if that was even possible, and my long, bony arms hung awkwardly at my sides. A scowl stretched across my lips.

Princesses were supposed to be lively and plump (but not fat). Princesses were supposed to be like Keilee! My eyes narrowed with envy as I saw her snickering beside me.

"Better not go anywhere near the cooks, Sara. They'd mistake you for a chicken and try to stick you in the oven!"

"Neither should you," I snapped. "They'd mistake you for a cow."

"You can make sassy comebacks all you want, but you know the truth," Keilee stated. "Look at yourself, Saralee, you're ugly. Face it." 

Note from Queen Saralee: SHUT UP! THAT GIRL YOU'RE CALLING UGLY IS GOING TO BE THE BEST RULER LESSAENES HAS EVER HAD!!!

I pulled on a casual purple dress, turned away, and walked out the door quickly to hide the tears that were beginning to form at the edges of my eyes. I wasn't crying because I was offended or saddened by what Keilee said. I was crying because she was right. I was ugly. Probably the ugliest princess Lessaenes had ever had.