Chapter 8

I know that you've been waiting for this chapter for a few days now. Well, it's out now, and I hope it was worth the wait. This chapter is dedicated to wearetheminority for offering to edit this story, but i declined. Sorry for the mixed signals, minority. My sister really needs to learn not to put her nose into my business. I appriciate you none-the-less!

Another thing, I start classes today, so I have no idea what my posting schedule will be like. I'll try to keep it as regular as possible! Thanks to all of my fans!

So, I hope you enjoy this chapter! Please let me know what you guys think. This is where the drama starts! Well, if you don't count chapter 5, I believe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We did it!” I high-fived Kam after we pulled off a combination and hit McLeggin right in the arm with a bludger. Our teamwork was flawless. She aimed, and I hit. He was complaining –rather loudly too- that his wrist was now broken, and it was my entire fault. I just smiled at him before joining the rest of the team on the ground.

 “That was amazing, guys, but now it’s time for my decision, so gather round,” Harry said, motioning for us to circle around him. “As we know, Ron is keeper. My chasers will be Katie, Ginny, and Kamrynn. My beaters will be Courtney and Cormack,” I gave him a weird look. Cormack? “I know, Court,” he had noticed, “you two didn’t work together, but you both have the strength and the drive to be beaters. I believe that you will be working together just like you and Kam did.”

I sighed. “If that’s what you think, Captain.”

I really didn’t think it was going to be a good idea, but we’ll have to see how the first practice plays out. Harry dismissed us, and Kam and I were out of that pitch pretty fast. I then remembered that Draco had wanted something, so I ditched Kam with a lame excuse of having forgotten something back in the bleachers. I went in the direction he said and found a note with my last name written in sloppy handwriting. I sighed before tucking it into my bag. I would read it later.

“What did you forget?” Kam asked when I joined her in the Great Hall.

I shrugged. “Nothing. I just had the feeling I did.”

Ron sat down across from us with a grin. “I told you guys that you would make it, and you did. That’s one for Ron, zero for the Glam Girls.”

Kam and I exchanged looks. “Glam girls?” she asked, trying to keep a straight face.

“What? It was the only thing that I could come up with off the top of my head. Is there something wrong with it?” he asked, looking from Kam to me. “What would you suggest then?”

I shrugged. “Why not just Court and Kam?”

“Or how about Badass Hot Chicks?” Kam giggled with a shrug.

Ron looked pleased. “Alright. Badass Hot Chicks zero, and Ron one,” he then looked up and down the tables. “Where’s the food at? I’m starving.”

“You’re always starving,” Kam pointed out with a poke to his outstretched arm on the table.

That’s when I looked across the room and found Draco sitting at the Slytherin table next to Pansy Parkinson. They were in mid conversation, and she was stroking his arm. What was in that note that he had given me? I couldn’t help but wonder as I stared at him. His head then turned so his eyes could meet mine. I could feel the blush creeping on my cheeks, but I didn’t look away.

“Court?” Ron asked, waving a hand in front of my face. “Earth to Courtney!”

With a sigh, I tore my eyes from Draco’s and to Ron, who was wearing a puzzled look. I just shrugged and looked down at my fingernails, which needed to be cleaned. So, I picked up a fork and rubbed it under my nail.

“That is so gross,” Kam shrieked, pulling the fork from my hand. “Why would you even do that? People have to eat with that, you know.”

I shrugged yet again. I couldn’t help it, but my eyes wondered back to Draco, who was now talking to Blaise Zambini on his left. I then looked back over to my friends, who were staring at me once again. I cleared my throat just as Hermione and Harry sat down on the other side of Ron.

“What’s so appealing over there?” Kam asked with a smirk as if she knew what I was looking at. “It wouldn’t be Draco Malfoy, would it?”

She knew alright, but she’s just as guilty as I am about checking Draco out. It’s not like it’s a crime to look at an attractive guy. I mean, I wasn’t checking him out. I was just looking at him. There’s a difference. I’m trying to figure him out, not take pleasure in the features of his body. Not that I don’t think take pleasure in that but – oh, gosh. I should’ve just stopped thinking – out loud too, I might add.

All four of them gave me the weirdest look. “What?” I asked, my eyes widening.

“What in the bloody hell are you going on about, Courtney?” Ron was the first to ask.

I shook my head. “Nothing.”

“Is there something going on between you and Malfoy?” Harry asked.

I licked my lips as I glanced at Kam then Herms then Ron. I wanted to tell someone, I truly did, but I didn’t think it was wise to tell Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Ron does know some of it, but he doesn’t understand. Kam would be the only one that I would tell. Plus, if Harry and Hermione didn’t tell me everything, why should I tell them anything?

I shook my head. “No, there’s nothing. We’re just partners for the History of Magic Project is all.”

They looked like they didn’t believe me, but didn’t try to question me about it. I was thankful for that. At least they knew when to shut their mouths about something. We ate dinner and laughed at Ron’s poor manners. Afterwards, I pulled Harry aside.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“Could I use your cloak tonight?”

“Why?” he asked, crossing his arms. “You’re not going to use it to meet Malfoy are you?”

I shook my head. “God, no! I’m using it to actually get some sleep. I can’t stay with Lavender, okay?”

He could tell that I was lying to him. I actually wanted to get away from Lavender so I could read that note in private. She would want to read it along with me, I just know it. So, when he made the suggestion of rooming with Hermione and Kamrynn for the night, I acted like it was a great idea, like why hadn’t I thought of that?

But that’s not where I ended up. I made to knock on their door several times, but I just couldn’t do it. I couldn’t read the note with them in the same room, not until I had read it myself anyway. So, I found myself walking to the astronomy tower and looking up at the stars while I plucked up enough courage to open it.

Flint,

Just forget about what happened in the library, okay? I didn’t know what I was doing. Actually, I do. I was just leading you on. I had no real interest in you or in the picture, which I’ve gotten rid of. It didn’t remind me of anything, except how you got into Gryffindor. Our childhood isn’t that special, so I have no need for a picture to remind me of it. You shouldn’t want to remember it either, so just forget about it. We’re just partners on this stupid project and nothing more. I’m with Pansy now, so don’t get the wrong idea about us, okay?

With no love,

Malfoy

What the hell? He really didn’t mean any of it. I could really tell that he didn’t. He never, ever liked Pansy when we were little. He always found her completely and entirely annoying and always wanted to ditch her when she was around. I know for a fact that she hasn’t changed that much. Plus, Draco’s not that shallow. He wouldn’t date someone just to have sex with her. I know him, or at least I thought I did. So, the next day, I sought him out. I found him walking up to the third floor. Why? I had no idea. I just needed an answer straight from him and not from some stupid note. I deserved that much, right?