Chapter 16

I just wanted to talk with Draco when we were down in the woods. I wanted us to perhaps make things official, but apparently he doesn’t want that. Maybe he does. Maybe he was just too excited today. I rolled my eyes at the thought as Kam and I walked out of Zonko’s. Kam had wanted to go in there before we made our way back to the castle for dinner. She didn’t get anything though, which I thought was just a waste of time.

“So,” I said, walking up the path from the town. “What happened between you and Blaise?”

“He was the perfect gentleman,” she automatically gushed. “We had a few butterbeers at the Three Broomsitcks before he whisked me away to Madame Padifoot’s and had some tea. It was so sweet. He just asked questions about me. He wouldn’t let us talk about him. I finally bullied him into answering a few questions when we went on a romantic stroll around the town. He didn’t try to rush things. He didn’t even try to hold my hand. He even kissed me on the cheek before he left me for the day. Can you believe that?”

“No,” I commented, “I can’t. That’s awfully-“

“I know. He’s a Slytherin. It doesn’t seem right for him to be having real feelings for a Gyfindor such as me, but You know what?” she grabbed my wrist and stopped walking as she looked me in the eyes. “I don’t think that he’s playing a trick on me or something. I honestly believe that he likes me for me.”

I nodded at her. “Just don’t get hurt,” I added as she pulled me into a hug.

We had started walking again when she thought it was her turn to ask questions. “Hey, what happened with Draco? Something good I presume since you two came up holding hands,” she nudged me with her elbow.

“Well,” I started but stopped.

I know that Draco and I had never really talked about what was going on between us, but I was pretty sure that those same rules applied. No one can know about us. He had said us. Did he really mean to say us or something else? On one condition, I had agreed, as long as you don’t become too emotionally attached. I wasn’t really sure what our conversation meant now that I thought about it. I couldn’t tell anyone what was really going on until I talked to Draco.

“Earth to Courtney?” Kam said, poking me in the arm.

I looked over at her as we kept walking. “I honestly have no idea what is going on with Draco. I just hope something is and that’ll happen soon.”

It was the truth. Well, as much as I could tell Kam without her getting too suspicious. She nodded in understanding as we linked arms and found the castle in some sort of uproar. I reached out and grabbed Neville by the arm. He looked at me like I was crazy.

“What happened, Neville?” I asked, letting go of him and Kam.

“It’s Katie Bell,” he said breathlessly. “She’s been cursed.”

Kam and I exchanged glances. “Cursed by what?” I asked.

He shrugged. “Dunno, but Harry, Hermione, and Ron are being questioned about it. They saw the whole thing. Can you believe that? I hope they don’t get in trouble…”

With that, he walked away. Poor Katie. She was just a little thing, mind you she was older than me but everyone was taller than her. What could’ve happened to have her cursed though? It didn’t make since. Did she have someone after her? Or maybe it was just a mistake?

“Whatever it is,” Kam answered me. I didn’t realize that I had spoken those last few words out loud. “The person who did this is in deep shit.”

I sighed. “That’s if they find them.”

I looked up and saw Draco walking towards the Great Hall with Blaise at his side. He looked a little distracted and a little pale. His eyes didn’t shine as they did in the afternoon when he had looked deeply into hers. He gave her a smile smile and looked down at his feet. He looked so sad. I just wanted to run over there and pull him close to me. I knew I couldn’t do that though. I looked over at Blaise, who was waving at Kam with a goofy smile planted on his face. Maybe he really did like her. Surprises happen every day.