Chapter 45

Courtney,

I write with good news. You’re father and I am getting remarried at the end of June! He asked me just last night, and I had to write to my maid of honor straightaway. I hope that you’re excited. Your brother is acting as if the world has just ended along with Alex. Do you know why your brother would be unhappy that your father and I are getting married again? I have a feeling that he’s laid out all his secrets to you, and I know Alex won’t tell me. So, I love you, and I’ll see you at Platform 9 ¾ at the end of term.

Love,

Mom

I sighed and folded Mom’s letter back up. I had a feeling that I knew why Marcus was so unhappy with the marriage. I just didn’t understand how he could possibly know that our father was a deatheater. I didn’t even want to go back home because of him. He was a traitor and was going to bring mom down with him. He was dead to me.

“What are you reading?”

I looked up to see Hermione and Ron sitting across from me, and Kam sitting to my right. I wasn’t sure that I should tell them everything, but I was going to anyway. I could always trust Ron and Kam, and Hermione had proved herself worthy over the year. I bit my lip before starting.

“Mum wrote me. She says that she and dad are getting married at the end of June and that Marcus is furious about that,” I said with a shrug. “I’ve gotten a letter from him as well, but I haven’t read it just yet.”

“Why would your brother be angry with your mum for getting remarried to your father?” Hermione asked, which made Ron laugh. “What is it Ronald? Do you know why?”

“It’s completely obvious, Hermione. Her dad is in line with You-Know-Who,” he whispered. “Only someone who was so close with the Malfoy’s has to be in league with him. You should’ve figured that out by now.”

Kam laughed. “That’s another one for Ron, and sadly, none for Badass Hot Chicks.”

“Are you including Hermione in with you and Courtney now?” Ron asked with a chuckle. “Why?”

I rolled my eyes at him. “Shut it, Ronald.”

I then tore open the letter from Marcus, which made the three of them fall silent. I fingers trembled with excitement and nervousness just opening the letter. I hadn’t gotten a letter from my brother all year long. He had to be writing about something horrible, which was probably caused by our dear parents.

Courtney,

This letter is a warning. Do not go back to mother’s and father’s house this summer. I happen to know a secret of father’s, and it’s definitely not good. I especially happen to know that it won’t be good for neither you nor Adeline. I’m working on mother to get her out of there, but it’s not working. Go to the Burrow at the end of term, all right? I don’t want to see my little sister hurt again.

Love,

Marcus

“He knows about our father. He didn’t say so. He just mentioned that he knows about his secret and told me to head straight to the Burrow after the term is over,” I said, setting it down instead of folding it like I did with my mother’s. “It’s not safe there for my mother or my little sister any longer. He’s working on getting them out of there, but it’s not working.”

“You’re dad is a right bloody git,” Ron said, “and I could call him much worse.”

I nodded. “Do call him worse because he deserves it.”