Chapter 42

The day of the Apparition classes turned out to be the day before Ron’s birthday. He reminded Kam and me that morning at breakfast, during free time when we were all in the common room, once during lunch, another time at dinner, and right when we had walked into the Apparition class. I was about to tell him that we got the point when I saw Draco over in the corner talking to Blaise. Kam excitedly waved over at them, but I just weakly smiled. We had made good on our word and hadn’t seen each other since the Quidditch pitch. My heart was breaking with every day that passed by.

“This is going to be bloody awesome,” Ron said with a huge smile on his face.

I nodded and looked at him. “It’s going to be way awesome.”

I was so glad that he had decided to come with us and not Lavender. I heard that argument, and it wasn’t very pretty. She thinks that he must attend every grand event with her. I smirked at him after he had came out of the common room after the fight, and he told me not to say ‘I told you so’, which I told him anyway.

“If you had gone with your girlfriend, Ronald, then perhaps you would be having a miserable time,” Hermione smiled at him.

I rolled my eyes. “That is true,” I had to agree.

“Just don’t say another word about it,” Ron said, starting to blush, mainly because Lavender was blowing him kisses from across the room.

Kam laughed. “Aww, Won-won, you’re little wee girlfwiend is make a public display of affection. Why don’t you blow her a kiss back? That’s what a good little boyfwiend would do,” she then stood on tip toe and tousled his hair.

“Shut your mouth, Kam,” he mumbled under his breath as Lavender and Romilda giggled at his reaction.

I focused on the front of the Hall, where the heads of houses were standing with an adult I didn’t recognize. He was rather small and oddly colorless with transparent eyelashes, wispy hair, and an insubstantial air, as though a single gust of wind might blow him away. I wonder if his appearance was a hazard of his profession, like did constant disappearances and reappearances have diminished his substance. Perhaps he just looked like that because he was half albino or something. I shrugged it off though as he started to speak to all of us.

“Good morning,” he smiled at us. “My name is Wilkie Twycross,” a rather loud snort from Ron landed right on my neck since he was standing right behind me, “and I shall be your Ministry appointed intructit for the next twelve weeks. I hope to be able to prepare you for your Apparition tests in this time-“

“Malfoy, be quiet and pay attention!” barked Professor McGonagall.

My eyes instantly made their way over to him. I smiled when I had seen him blush a slight pink. Who knew that he could blush? A furious look came over his face as he stepped away from Crabbe, with whom he had appeared having a whispered argument with. I then glanced at Snape, who like highly annoyed with Draco’s behavior.

“-by which time, many of you may be ready to take your tests,” Twycross continued as though he wasn’t interrupted at all. “As you may know, it is usually impossible to Apparate or Disapparate within Hogwarts. The headmaster has lifted the enchantment, purely within the Great Hall, for one hour, so as to enable you to practice. May I emphasize that you will not be able to Apparate outside the walls of this Hall, and that you would be unwise to try. I would like each of you to place yourselves now so that way you have a clear five feet in front of you.”

There was then only the sound of feet sliding against the floor, people bumping into each other, and apologies as everyone did as the instructor had said. Draco had ended up straight across from me. Ron elbowed me, and I elbowed him back. That was not something to get all worked up over.