Chapter 22

There was definitely something going on that night at Slughorn’s party. I mean, Colin was acting really weird, and he had been in the office for a pretty long time. I know because I kept a watch on it while Harry left me pretty much alone. He seemed to be distracted by Ginny Weasley, which didn’t surprise me the least bit. He also left a few times to dance with Luna Lovegood, which was alright with me. No girl should have to be there alone, and Harry was a gentleman…to everyone but me. Kamrynn passed by with Blaise. They looked so happy together, and my heart ached. My heart ached for Draco.

“That’s it,” I said after they passed; my mind set on finding out what Colin was up to. “Hello?” I called when I opened the door and shut it behind me. I heard a crash from the back of the room and headed there. I was expecting to see Colin, but he was nowhere in sight. There was someone there though.

“Where’s Colin?” I asked, completely scaring him, which caused him to drop something with a shatter.

“God damn it,” he mumbled under his breath and looked over at me. His grey eyes piercing mine like they always do. “Courtney, what are you doing here?”

“I asked you where Colin was,” I said, not backing down.

He shrugged. “Did I tell you that people are not always who they seem to be?”

That’s when I realized that Colin had never come to the party. Draco had come as Colin with the help of Polyjuice potion, but wasn’t it supposed to last an hour? I mean, obviously it hadn’t. Was that why he hadn’t come out of the office?

“I thought Polyjuice potion lasted an hour? Shouldn’t you still have time to get out of here as Colin?” I questioned, cleaning the mess on the floor with just a wave of my wand.

He shrugged. “I didn’t have as much as you usually do. I used up all my stores and only had a little left. I had no idea how long it would last, but apparently that was only twenty minutes.”

“Why are you in here? I know it’s just not my chance,” I sighed and leaned against the wall behind me. “I know that you weren’t invited to the party, and if Snape sees you, I don’t know what he’ll do, but he wasn’t happy when he threw the last Slytherin who wasn’t invited out. I mean, everyone wants to be at this party, which I don’t understand. It’s not even remotely fun.”

“It’s a party where all the best people have been invited,” he whispered. “Of course people want to be here.”

“That doesn’t explain why you’re here, Draco,” I said, knowing I was pushing but not caring in the slightest.  “Are you honestly saying that you wanted to be at this party?”

“Where ever you are,” he looked back at me, “is where I want to be.”

It took me a second to react because my heart had stopped beating or at least that’s what it felt like. “Bull shit,” I said, tears stinging my eyes but I wouldn’t let them fall. “Bull shit, Draco. I don’t believe that for a second.” I wanted to. I really wanted to, but it was just too hard.

“I wasn’t expecting you too,” he shrugged again, which was getting on my nerves. “Will you be willing to do me a favor anyway? I know you’ll probably say no, but-“

“What is it?” I asked, cutting him off. I was just being a bitch, which I felt I had every right to be. I mean, he hadn’t been so nice to me, so I had the right. Right?

“I need to get out of here. I’ve crashed this party, but I can see that it was a mistake. So,” he paused. “Will you be my look out?”

I bit my lip. “You don’t deserve it.”