chapter 28

I walked through the streets of London with my mom at my side. She had picked me up from the Burrow so we could spend the last day of my vacation together. She was taking me out to lunch and to do a little shopping in Diagon Alley. I had requested it, but only because I had an alternative motive. My mind had been swimming, but it felt alright.

“Did that clear your head?” Fred asked when I pulled away from him.

I shrugged. “I’m still as confused as I was before the kiss.”

He smiled and gently pushed some of my hair behind my ear. I bit my lip as a blush slowly burned on my cheeks. It was different from when I was with Draco. I had always wanted to kiss Draco, but I wanted Fred to kiss me. It was the opposite. I wanted to be the one kissed and not the one doing the kissing. I didn’t know if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but whatever it was, it sure felt nice.

“You can take as much time as you like, but while you’re thinking, can we just have this one night?” he whispered and leaned his forehead against mine.

I sighed. I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t know whether I should’ve given him a chance or not but with those beautiful eyes looking into mine, I just had to nod. Besides, I had plenty of dates with Draco. He had enough time to prove to me that he wanted me, but he was still keeping secrets. It was only fair. Besides, isn’t there a saying about that? Oh, yes. All is fair in love and war. Since it was love we were dealing with, taking a midnight stroll and snogging under a nearby tree seemed pretty fair to me.

“I shouldn’t have let you go,” Fred pulled away from me with a smile. “It was foolish that I couldn’t wait. You are all that I’ve wanted, and I’ve never felt guiltier about anything in my whole entire life. Courtney, I-“ he paused and gulped. “I think I love you.”

I couldn’t say it back to him. I just couldn’t. There was this sweet guy who I could have, but there was another boy that was tugging on the back of my mind. Why Draco? Why are you pulling me around like this? Instead of saying anything, which I couldn’t do anyway, I kissed him again. It seemed to work to some effect, but it was just making me more confused by the second.

“Where have you been?” Ron yelled when I arrived in his room a little while later. “You walked out to get some air during dinner, and you never came back. Neither did Fred now that I think about it. You can’t have your caked and eat it too, Courtney. You can’t yank my brother around when you’re in love with someone else!”

I nodded. “I know that, Ron.”

“Leave Courtney alone, Ronald,” Kam smiled at me. “I know what you’re doing, Court. It’s not going to end pretty. Well, at least for one of them. I know that you’re angry and upset with Draco. I would feel like I needed to move on as well, but are you sure you want to try that with one of your best friend’s brothers? Just think about it, okay?”

“Here,” Ron threw a pillow at me. “Sleep on it.”

I sighed and tried to sleep, but it didn’t come until the wee hours of the morning, when I couldn’t hold my eyes open any longer. I dreamt that someone had a wand pointed to Draco’s throat as well as Fred’s. I could only save one I was told. I couldn’t pick. It didn’t seem fair. The prosecutor then turned the wand on me because of my indecisiveness. I woke up in a sweat. My problem was getting worse as the time went on.

“Were do you want to eat at?” Mom asked as we neared the Leaky Cauldron. “Leaky Cauldron or something in the Alley?”

I shrugged. “Wherever you want to go.”