Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Draco’s POV

Crabbe was just being a dumbass the night before. He knows not to question me that I know what I’m doing. A dumb buffoon like him should at least realize that. Harry was suspicious of me, which means that he’s onto me. Courtney had to have known what I was talking about, which means that my secret is safe. Oh God, how I missed her. It had only been three weeks or so, but I felt that my life was over. The only thing that I had in my life was that bloody cupboard. It was the only ticket that I knew to get out of my situation. Besides, I was still breathing so I didn’t have it that bad, did I?

“Bloody hell,” I swore as I looked at Granger’s simplified instructions.

 I was going to be able to fix it, but it was going to take a long time. Too long, in my opinion. I waved my wand again to set a certain spell in place before deciding the test it out. I grabbed the apple that I had brought with me to eat later on, but I decided to try to send my apple to the other cupboard instead. I opened the door and placed the apple gently inside. I closed the door and said the incantation. There was a slight whooshing sound. I opened the door to see that the apple indeed was gone. I sighed and closed the door. I said the incantation again before the same whooshing sound sailed into my ear. I opened the door to find the apple still whole. I took a deep breath and grabbed it. I turned it around to find a chunk out of the fruit. I was getting close, but I had to get to the point where I could send living things, and it wasn’t looking so good. I just hopped that I was able to fix it by May like the Dark Lord wanted. I decided to head back to the common room, and on the way I found a group of girls in the dungeons.

“Can you believe that happened?” a girl whispered to her friends as I passed.

“I know, poor guy,” whispered another.

“Someone must want him dead,” another said.

“First Katie, now Ron. What is going on this year?” asked the first girl.

A sudden thought hit me as I entered the common room. I hadn’t heard of anything happening with my poisoned mead from Christmas. Apparently, Slughorn wasn’t all that reliable when it came to actually giving the gift that he bought for another person. I should’ve known. He does appreciate good alcohol. That means that it could’ve gotten into the wrong hands. Perhaps Slughorn poured the mead for someone else or gave it away. It was not looking good.

“Draco, did you hear?” asked Blaise as I sat down next to him on the sofa.

I shook my head. “No, what is it?”

“Well, Ron Weasley accidently swallowed a love potion,” he said and then laughed. “Can you imagine being that stupid that you actually swallow a love potion?”

I shrugged. “Maybe it was inside a food or a drink, but he didn’t realize it.”

“Anyway,” he sighed, continuing, “Harry and Courtney found him and took him to Slughorn. He cured the love potion no problem, but just as soon as they were ready to celebrate with a little drink, he passed out because he drank it before everyone else and was poisoned.”

My eyes widened. Weasley had been poisoned in Slughorn’s office, which had to have meant that it was the mead that I had poisoned at the Christmas party. How could I have been so stupid and careless with my actions? I should have thought it out more before deciding to poison something that would’ve never made it to Dumbledore in the first place.

“What I can’t believe is that Courtney was there with them,” Blaise sighed. “I mean, she was about to drink that mead. She could be the one lying in the hospital wing right now instead of Weasley. Who do you think could’ve done this, Draco? I mean, the only person who had any access to that alcohol? I mean, it is rumored to have been a gift for Dumbledore.”