Chapter 30

I pulled out our paper that we had neglected to turn in before the holiday. Binns would be so angry at us, but we needed a grade of some kind and a late grade was better than nothing. I flipped through the seven pages of goblin revolution nonsense before I finally found where we had stopped. I was surprised to find a conclusion written in Draco’s handwriting. He must’ve finished it the last time we worked together, right before I had walked out. At the end of the conclusion was a side note, I gasped when I read it.

Courtney, I’m sorry. It has to be done. I love you.

I sat down on my bed and reread the sentence over and over again.  What exactly did he mean by it had to be done? Was he talking about breaking up with me? Or was he talking about the engagement that he was now in? Did he really love me at all?

“Courtney?”

I rolled my eyes and sighed. “Lavender, what do you want?” I growled at the door because she only it open so much and had her head through the opening that she had made.

“Can I come in?”

“Is it your room too, isn’t it?” I sarcastically questioned and took my wand out of my back pocket.

She screamed and stopped walking into the room. “I thought you said I could come in?”

I looked at her oddly. “Yes, I did.”

“Then why do you have your wand out?”

I looked down at my wand and smirked. “It’s not for you, trust me.” I had to admit that it was kind of fun now that Lavender was very wary of me. “It’s for making revisions on this paper.” I shook my head as she walked into the room and ran to her bed with her eyes on my wand.

I pointed the wand straight at that sentence. It was now time that it was erased. I couldn’t keep it there no matter how much I wanted to. He had hurt me way too much, and he thinks an apology on a bloody piece of parchment was going to make me run back to him. Well, he’s got another thing coming. I took a deep breath. I knew the spell. I truly did, but why couldn’t I just say it? If I erased it, did it mean that I was giving up on Draco forever? I bit my lip as tears sprang up into my eyes.

“What’s wrong?” Lavender asked from her bed, but not approaching me.

I looked up at her from the parchment. “Nothing,” I whispered. “I’ll be back,” I added as I got up with parchment and wand in hand and exited the room.

I headed down to Kam and Hermione’s room. The door opened at just one knock. Hermione smiled at me before grabbing my wrist and dragging me into the room. Kam was sitting on her bed, laughing her ass off at something. I looked from her to Hermione, who just shrugged.

“We were just talking,” she added, sitting on her own bed.

I sat down next to Kam, who pulled me into a tight hug. “What is it?” she asked.

I sighed and handed her the parchment. I didn’t come out and tell her what she was looking for. I just gave it to her. The tears were coming back, and I had to try and stop them. He didn’t deserve for me to cry over him. I just couldn’t help it though.

“This is your history paper,” Kam laughed. “Isn’t this more of Hermione’s area of expertise?”

I shook my head. “Look at the bottom. There’s a side note.”

Hermione just looked at me with her smile gone. I just stared back at her, waiting for Kam’s reaction. It didn’t take long before she laid the parchment down on her lap and looked over at me. She shook one hand and patted my arm.