Doctors make the worst patients

As I waited I could feel my chest getting tighter, my breathing getting shallower, my heart beating faster. I was hoping and praying that someone answered the door soon - it felt like I had been leaning against the door for ages, when in reality it had only been a few seconds.

I wasn't sure how much longer my legs could hold my weight for, and I had just started to feel myself drifting off when the door opened. I felt myself falling through the door frame, I was ready to hit the hard concrete flooring when two very muscular arms grabbed me. They picked me up and took me over to where the medical bed was, laying me down upon the white papery cloth. I heard them shout out for help and suddenly there were three of the most beautiful looking men I had ever seen in my life hanging over me.

"A.....as.....asthm....asthma!" I finally managed to say,
"It's alright darling, we've got you, whatever you do don't worry, we'll take care of you."

If I'm being honest, I had never felt safer in my life. These guys obviously knew what they were doing, but I wish they'd hurry up about it because right now it feels like an elephant has taken a seat on my chest.

"Whip, grab the oxy,"
"Gonz, call and ambo,"

I heard one of them say, and before I knew it there was the familiar sensation of an oxygen mask over my face, and I could feel the oxygen being forced into my lungs. And when I say forced, I mean forced. It was horrible and I couldn't help but squirm. I could feel myself starting to get agitated, and my heart started to beat faster again.

"Calm down sweetie, calm down, look at me, everything is going to be okay, you're safe, now relax. Relax and let us do the hard work. I need you to take deep breaths. In.... And out.....in..... And out."

I can't believe how embarrassing this is. I'm a Doctor for goodness sakes. First I go and forget my inhaler and then I can't even stop myself for stressing out when all these wonderfully human beings are trying to do is help me. Geez. I need to lighten up.

Slowly they lifted the head of the bed up so that's I was no longer flat on my back, and I knew that would take some of the pressure away from my chest. They transferred me onto the normal oxygen, which was a relief, because although literally shoving oxygen down my throat was necessary, it isn't one of the most pleasant things in the world.

The three extremely good looking men who had come to my rescue were there, and I recognise them as Harries, Whippet and Chappo....I'm such a geek.

"Sorry about that," Whippet said,
"Yeah, we don't have inhalers or nebulisers or anything in the tower," Chappo added,
"So we just have to make do with the good old fashioned Oxy I'm afraid," Harries finished off.

Another boy in blue came round the corner and I realised that it was Gonzo.

"The ambo's on its way boys, how's the patient?" He asked,
"Yeah she's doing great, she's a fighter," Chappo said, looking at me and winking.
"How ya going, sweetheart?" Gonzo asked.

I tried to answer, but no words came out. I mean, I could hardly get any oxygen in so its no wonder I can't get any out!
I kept trying. It was so rude of me not to answer, after all, they had just pretty much saved my life.

I removed the oxygen mask from my face, and eventually I managed to say something.

"Thank.... Thank you so.... Much guys," I panted, "I.....I only just mo....moved here yest.... Yesterday and I..... I left the house s.....so.....so quickly that I forgot...... My inhaler."

Chappo came back over and put the mask back on my face.

"That's enough of the Q&A for the time being, don't ya think?" He said.

I liked him, in fact I liked him a lot. He stayed with me whilst the ambulance arrived, constantly reassuring me and making me feel comfortable..... I'm not going to lie, he had a better bedside manner than some Doctors do!

When the paramedics arrived, I immediately recognised one of them to be Quinno - he was a full time paramedic and part time lifeguard down at the beach.

As soon as they walked through the door I was determined that I was not going to hospital. I'm a Doctor after all, I think I know whether I need to go to hospital or not.
Quinno listened to my back and my chest, and told me that he could still hear a slight wheeze, and that he would recommend me taking a trip to the hospital. I told him I wasn't going. Both he and Chappo tried to persuade me, but I was determined not to go.

"All I need is a quick blast on a Salbutamol nebuliser," I said
"And how do you know that?" Quinno enquires, obviously taken aback

I didn't want to tell them I was a Doctor, that would just be embarrassing, but I was going to have to. There was so way they were going to let me out of here.

"Trust me, I just need a good 10 minutes on the nebuliser and then I'll be good to go, I'm serious," I argued
"I'm sorry but we're going to have to take you in, the hospital will bed to review your meds, especially seeing as you're new to the Country," He argued back
"You really should just go with them darling, just to be safe," Chappo piped up

"Honestly, I really don't need to go..."
"I'm afraid you do..."
"Oh for Heavens sake, I'm a Doctor, okay? I know what I'm talking about. Seriously. Go over to my jacket and in the left pocket you'll find my medical ID," I blurted out. That's it, I'd blown my cover.

Chap went over and sure enough found my ID. He showed it to Quinn who then seemed more than satisfied.

"Well, you could have told us that in the first place," they laughed.

HOPE YOU LIKE THE STORY SO FAR GUYS!
SORRY THAT THE START HAS BEEN A BIT LONG WINDED, BUT I PROMISE THAT IT WILL GET MOVING PROPERLY SOON...
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE!

MUCH LOVE,
Charlie x