A small mercy

Beep.... Beep.... Beep... Beep...
As I began to come round from my state of unconsciousness, I heard the familiar rhythm of a heart monitor, and without too much brainpower, managed to come to the conclusion that I was attached to it. I mean, considering the fact that I'm the only one in my room who is injured, it didn't require too much thought to figure that out. It was beeping steadily, and without even opening my eyes I knew that it was showing that my heart was in Sinus rhythm.

Well, I thought, at least that's a positive.

My eyelids felt heavy, and I wondered how long I had been out of it for. I could no longer feel any pain, which was a small mercy. However, it did mean that I couldn't tell what or where my injuries were, which annoyed me slightly because I like knowing things. That meant that I would actually have to speak to the Doctors and Nurses, and at the current time, that thought was not massively appealing 1) because I was not able to properly open my eyes 2) because I didn't really feel to great, and 3) because the people who will have been treating me are my colleagues, the people that I work with, and to be quite honest, I don't quite thing I'm in a good mental position to put up with the ridicule.

You never know, they might feel sorry for me, I suppose that is always a probability, but considering the fact that I take the piss out of them a lot of the time, I highly doubt it. Well, I guess that if you give it you've got to be able to take it as well.

Bring on the banter, I thought, whoopee.

It took me a good few minutes to be able to muster up enough energy to allow me to open my eyes, yet slowly but surely I managed, and after a few failed attempts, they eventually stayed open. As I got my bearings, I quickly realised that I had a neck brace on, however although this restricted my movement, it didn't cease it altogether. For that, I was thankful. I don't think I can think of anything worse than being completely immobile.

As the seconds continued to pass, I started to notice aches and pains coming from nearly every inch of my body. I wasn't going to complain though, because pain is a good thing. Why is pain a good thing? Pain is a good thing because it lets you know that you are still alive. It lets you know that you're heart is still beating and that your brain is still functioning and that is good enough for me. I couldn't precisely locate the main sources of pain, and because I was in a side room, there wasn't anybody for me to ask either.

I rolled my eyes around to try and find out where the call button was, and saw that it was above my head to the left. With a bit of a strain, I managed to reach up behind my head and push it.

Well, I thought,  at least I know there isn't anything wrong with my dominant hand.

I know that the fact that nothing is wrong with one of my arms may seem a little insignificant, but considering what I have just endured, I'll take anything I can get my hands on. After all, it's the small mercy's that count at times like this.

Within seconds a Nurse and then a Doctor came bursting through the door and starting looking at the monitors. I felt kind of invisible, I mean, I was laid there in the bloody bed unable to move a lot and with a neck brace on and they didn't even speak to me at first. I was fuming - their bedside manners were terrible.

Whilst I was busy being ignored, I heard shuffling from outside my room. it was definitely the sounds of muffled footsteps, and I was pretty sure that they were coming from multiple people.

"Is she awake?"

"She must be awake, they wouldn't be in there otherwise, would they?"

"How do you know? You're not a doctor, you fainted when you saw that pole sticking out of Chappo's leg."

"Shut up and go and see if she's awake,"

"Nah, don't send Whip in the last thing she wants to see is his ugly mug,"

"Go and get Tom, she likes Tom... or Deano, she likes them best, right?"

"Yeah, go and get one of those two..."

Of course I knew who it was straight away, I could recognise those voices anywhere!

"Oi! Whip, Harries, Reidy, Gonzo, get in here right now you bunch of absolute morons!" I shouted as loud as I could, startling the doctor and nurse at the same time.

From where I was laid I saw four very familiar faces peeking round the corner, and one by one they shuffled in and leant over the bed so that I could see them, how considerate.

"Hey Pom, how ya going?" Harries asked, with a hint of concern in his voice,

"Oh, I'm absolutely cracking Harries. Never been better, in fact, I think I should get myself trapped under about 50 tonnes of rubble again sometime, it was a right blast..." I said, a little more sarcastically than I had meant to sound, but I just can't help myself.

"Yeah, she's fine," Whip chuckled, "I mean she's still a sarcastic pain in the arse, but she's alright,"

"Oi Ryan Clarke, I may be laid in bed with a neck brace and got knows what else wrong with me, but I am still perfectly capable of kicking your sorry butt, so you had better watch yourself..." I warned, making them all chuckle.

The boys then sat down, made themselves comfortable and then started to joke around, mainly at my expense, but I didn't mind. I'd get them back eventually. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, or even next week, but sometime in the near future, I'd get my revenge. Then, as quickly as the banter had started, it stopped, and the room went deadly silent.

I couldn't see anything apart from the ceiling above me, because the nurse had aped my head down because I wouldn't stop moving it, but I knew someone was in the doorway.

"Charl?" said a trembling voice which could not be mistaken for any other, "You alright?"

"I think so," I sobbed as my eyes started to well up and my bottom lip began to tremble.

At that point, my mind flooded with emotion, and I couldn't find the mental capacity to form words, but that didn't matter, because within moments, he was there, by my bedside, holding my hand.

"Chappo..." I started...

"Shhh, it's alright, Charl, I'm here," he said, and I could hear the roar emotions gushing from his voice.

In truth, that was all I needed... that was all I needed to make me feel at ease. It was then that I realised that I didn't want or love anybody other than him, and that without him, I don't know what I'd do. I was terrified that I was going to lose him on Bondi beach not so long ago, and I knew that as he gripped my hand and wiped away my tears, that he felt the same way too.

Hey guys,

I've finally got a new chapter for you... not as much action, but I feel like it's a nice filler, and I hope you like it. Once again, I'm sorry for the long delays in between the updates -  I'm trying my best to find the time to write, but it's just a little difficult at the minute.

Hope you enjoy this one, and hope you're all well.

Much love,

Charlie x