Experience isn't everything

The next day, I was on a twilight shift, meaning that I had the morning off.

To be honest, I had planned on having a lie in, but that idea went out of the window, because at 6:30am precisely, I was awoken by the generic IPhone alarm tone. However, after initially being rather irritated, all of my annoyance dissipated when I turned around and once again caught a glimpse of the chiseled body of Christopher Chapman as he was making his way towards the bathroom.

"Well, I guess that I'm supposed to be seeing Hop at some point, and there's no time like the present," I muttered to myself whilst painfully dragging myself from the comfort of the bed,
"What was that Charl?!" Chap shouted from the bathroom,
"Oh, nothing dear!" I shouted back as I pulled on an outfit in which I thought was suitable for working with the lifeguards.

Whilst he showered, I made my way into the kitchen and made up a couple of strawberry, banana and blackberry smoothies along with some granola and yoghurt for both him and me. I pointed over to the breakfast that I had concocted as he entered the kitchen via the bedroom door.

"Awh, do you know what? You Charl, are as sweet as a strawberry!"
"Well, that's a good job really, because normally on a morning, you are as sour as a citrus fruit!"

I heard him chuckling to himself as he grabbed a spoon and scoffed down his food.

Within five minutes we were on our way down to Bondi, hand in hand, walking along the coastal path. The sun was just about to burst into the sky, and I could feel the beams of light shining upon my skin, causing a warm sensation to be transmitted throughout my body. As the last rays emerged from behind the horizon, we stopped for a couple of minutes to appreciate the start of a new day.

"Hey," Chap said gently, "I used to think that working on the beach was the best job in the World, but I stand corrected, because now I know that the best job in the World is working on the beach with the one that you love!"
"Hang about, it's a little early in the morning for you to be getting romantic isn't it?"
"Well, if you would prefer, I can always retract my latest compliments?"
"Woah, don't be hasty, I was just saying that it was a little early for romance, not that I didn't appreciate it!"

After appreciating the natural beauties of this famous beach, we walked the remaining distance to the lifeguard tower. We were the first ones there, closely followed by Tom and Deano.

Whilst Chap and Tom went to set up the beach for the day, I stayed behind and sat in the tower with Deano who was sweeping across the beach with the binoculars for the first time this morning. He then went on to check that the medical supplies were stocked up and that the defibrillator was working as it should do. As he did this, I followed him and closely watched everything that he did, taking every little detail into account.

It wasn't long after that until the rest of the boys who were rostered on today started to file in. Gonzo, Harries, Whip and Kerrbox all bounced through the he door, followed by Chappo and Tom who had just finished setting up the beach. They all wandered around the tower aimlessly for a few minutes and struck up conversations with each other when they felt like it.

A couple of minutes passed before Bruce Hopkins, the boss, strutted through the door. He immediately seemed to grab the attention of everyone who was present, and they all either took a seat or perched on the side, obviously preparing to listen to what the man of the hour had to say.

"Morning boys," he began, "as you can all probably see, we've got a decent sized swell today, with some good sized waves coming in, so South a Corner is going to get very busy very quickly when the surfers start rocking up. So, Harries and Kerrbox, you'll be down there - remember to keep an eye out for any swimmers who think it's a good idea to swim down there. Backpackers is also gonna be strong today, so if any swimmers ate caught out, they're gonna get dragged out pretty quick. Chap, you'll be stationed there to start with. Moving on, up North we might get busy with swimmers getting caught out because that is normally quite a pleasant area of the beach, and the waves between the North flags are definitely pumping. A lot of the local kids might be attracted to flat rock today as well, so there might be a few cuts and grazes. Gonz and Tom, you'll be there for the first rotation. Dean and Whip, you'll be taking the first shift in the tower. Everyone alright with all that?"