Slow and steady

I took the flowers from Chap and neatly arranged them in a vase before filling it with water and placing it in a prime position on the windowsill. We then raced to get ready, and then raced down towards Bondi just as quickly - I'm not kidding when I say that the process of getting changed and getting down to the beach only lasted about 15 minutes. But seriously, who could blame us? I mean, we didn't chose the beach lifestyle, the beach lifestyle grabbed us both by the arms and shouted run.

The waves sure we're pumping and there were some pretty decent sets coming through. It's fair to say that I couldn't wait to get down to South Bondi and catch a few all the way into shore. However, despite my eagerness, we had to call by the tower first to pick up our wetsuits, not because it was cold, but because there were a few bluey's out there today, and I didn't really fancy being stung by one of those buggers.

We then made our way down to the South and immediately paddled out. Chap mocked me whilst I rode a few of the smaller waves just to get warmed up, but the teasing soon stopped when he caught a glimpse of some of tricks I was whipping out when I moved onto the bad boy waves.

Once we had each taken the opportunity to show off our newest skills to each other, I decided that it was time for a bit of a mess around, so every time Chap dropped into a good-looking wave, I dropped in on top of him, and essentially stole his wave. From my point of view, it was really quite amusing, although it must have been irritating to him, but I didn't care, because the more he got annoyed, the funnier it became.

I was just about to drop in on him for the third time when I glanced behind me and noticed that there was a huge set looming which was a lot more inviting than the wave that he was riding, so I pulled off of it, and laid in wait of the next wave. As the height of the water mountain began to increased I could tell that it was going to be at least 8 foot, so I took off paddling at a speed which was as fast as my arms would allow me to go. I was determined not to miss the opportunity of riding this wave.

When the wave began to break, I dropped in, but found that my positioning on my board was slightly wrong. I tried to adjust my stance, but it was too little too late, and as I did so, I was thrown off of my board. I was flying through the air, but instead of hitting the water like I had expected, I landed forcefully on something hard, causing a shooting pain to be sent all the way up my left hand side. Before I disappeared under the white water,I'm felt myself let out a little scream, so hopefully Chap would have a rough idea of where abouts I was.

The washing machine sensation only lasted for a matter of seconds, because I quickly managed to resurface, which on one hand was a relief, because I was able to breathe, but on the other hand, it was unpleasant, because I was greeted with a great amount of pain spilling out from the area where I think I had landed on my board.

It felt like all of my stores of energy had depleted, so I just held onto my board and kept myself afloat in the Ocean, hoping that Chappo, or somebody would soon come to my aid. Then, after what seemed like an eternity, I raised my head a little to see that Chap had spotted me and was making his way over. When had gotten closer, I saw him turn towards the shoreline and give three pulls on the chain, which is a signal used by lifeguards to communicate that the patient was in a serious condition.

I then diverted my attention momentarily towards the direction of the beach to see one of the boys in blue (I wasn't sure who) beginning to make their way out towards where I was bobbing up and down helplessly.

When Chappo finally got to within touching distance of both me and my board, he went into lifeguard mode, and immediately tried to help me get my breathing under control by encouraging me to take slow deep breaths. The only problem was that whenever I took a deep breath in, I felt a stabbing pain in my side, so ended up reverting back to quick, shallow breaths.

Whilst we waited for the lifeguard to reach us, he took hold of my hands and started to try and comfort me by rubbing my back, which I must admit made me feel slightly less pained. Just then, Gonz pulled up on a large blue rescue board, and if was then that I realised how far out from shore we actually were... It was at least 200 metres.

"Hey Charl, how you going?" Troy asked with a little concern,
"Hey," I wheezed, "I think th... That I may have cr... Cracked a rib," I managed to say between breaths.
"Righto, hop on, I'll paddle you in - a couple do the boys are waiting on the shore," he assured me.

I slowly slid onto the rescue board, and every movement brought me more pain. Troy began the tricky task of paddling the long distance back to shore, but that is where his experience came into play, because he managed to catch a perfect wave all the way into shore. I envied his water ability.

Annoyingly, things always seem to go wrong when I'm around, and this time was no exception. As we arrived back in the shallows, Gonz bopped off of the board, but as he did so, I accidentally shifted my body weight to my left, which meant that I slipped off of the board and once again ended up submerged in the Pacific.

Before I could even find my feet, I felt two arms grab me and half drag, half carry me out of the water and onto the sand. They leant me back against themselves, and placed an Oxygen mask over my face. I rested my head back, and concentrated on my breathing, because the last thing I needed was a full blown asthma attack.

As I began to relax, I heard them chattering about what their next actions should be, but I switched off and tuned into the sounds of the waves rolling onto the beach, which was pleasant, because I haven't yet had the chance to listen to the songs of the Ocean since I arrived in this wonderful place.

Then, a couple of thoughts floated into my head;

Where has Chappo gotten to? I'm sure he was just behind us in the surf!

WOAH, TWO UPDATES IN ONE NIGHT... I AM ON FIRE!
I HOPE THAT YOU'RE ALL HAVING LOVELY, FUN-FILLED WEEKENDS - ENJOY THIS CHAPTER!

MUCH LOVE,
Charlie x