Everything stopped

"I know she is Charl, I know she is, but she's in the best possible hands, you know that more than I do. Those flying Doctors are ridiculously good at what they do, and after all, everything they're doing is only precautionary, so you need to concentrate on keeping yourself calm," Tom said in a way which made me feel very very reassured.

After Tom had managed to calm me down a little, I went quiet for a few minutes so that I was able to gather my thoughts and have a good puff on the green whistle to try and sort out some of my pain. It felt quite strange for me, because I normally have quite a high pain threshold, but when you have this amount of weight constantly bearing down on you, even a paper cut can feel like a 20 centimetre laceration.

The clock ticked on, and I'd pretty much lost track of time. My mind started to cloud over and I could feel my eyes beginning to get heavy, meaning that I was struggling to keep them open.

I don't know what happened, but I must have started to drift off, because the next thing I remember was Tom slapping me on the face and telling me to 'wake the hell up'.

'Charl! Don't you go doing that to me, you need to stay awake, you hear me?!' He said firmly.

By now most of the off-duty lifeguards had made their way down to Bondi and were standing in a huddle just next to where the bird cage had collapsed.

My body was still buried beneath the pile, and the fact that u could only see out of a little gap that had been cleared was starting to make me feel rather claustrophobic. It was hard to think about anything apart from the fact that I felt so damn tired. All I wanted to do was close my eyes.

"Charl? Charl, can you hear me?," Tom asked in a worried manner,

"Yeah, yeah, I can," I replied whilst opening my eyes,

"You are absolutely drip white Charl, I mean I know you're a Pommy so you're not supposed to be tanned, but honestly, I don't think your face is meant to be that shade of white," he muttered before adding, "are you bleeding anywhere apart from your face?"

"Well, I think I have a cut on my thigh, because I can feel little trickles of liquid and there is quite a sharp pain and a stinging sensation, so I suppose I could have lost a bit of blood,"

"Hey Pom, are you sure those feelings aren't because you've had a little accident down there!?" Iheard one of the lifeguards shout... I didn't know for definite who it was but I'm pretty sure it was Reidy.

My assumptions were proven to be correct when I saw his face pop above the gap that I could see from;

"Only joking Pom," he chirped with a cheeky grin before making a beeline for Chappo who was still squishing me.

"Chap mate, I know you didn't really want to race against me in the lifeguard race this year, but seriously, you didn't have to go to the much trouble to get yourself out of it... We only bet a box of corona, not our bloody mortgages you idiot!"

I heard Chappo begin to chuckle, but as soon as he started, he groaned in pain which suggested to me that he was having a bit of trouble breathing.

They just need to hurry up and get us all out of here, I thought to myself.

I was just about to ask Tom how much longer it would be until they managed to free Megan when I heard a very familiar command:

"Alright Ladies and Gents, on my call - ready, steady, roll... And again, ready, steady, roll... Ok, thanks guys lets get her loaded and in the air,"

"Is that Megan they're moving?" I asked Tom,

"Yeah mate, they're loading her into the helicopter now, so she'll be on her way very soon I expect. How're you doing?"

"Oh me? I'm absolutely fabulous, couldn't be better," I jeered,

"Ay, well you still seem to be managing the sarcasm pretty well, so you must be enjoying that green whistle,"

"Well I suppose you could say that," I chuckled.

I'm not going to lie, that green whistle is actually amazing. I mean, I can now understand how people can get high on the stuff... It just sends you into, like, a little bubble and you kind of feel like you're floating. Really, it's awesome!

Once they'd moved Megan, I felt a little bit of relief as some of the pressure eased off, and the rescue team now turned their attention to setting Chappo free. So far the paramedics had diagnosed a dislocated shoulder and broken collar bone, but from the way he groaned every time he moved, I was pretty sure that he had some more severe injuries.

From the sidelines, I could hear all of the off-duty lifeguards shouting words of advice and was quite alarmed at the speed in which material from the pile of debris was being removed. For the first time since the collapse, a feeling of hope trickled through my veins.

Tom kept updating and reassuring me, I could hear Reidy, Whippet and Chappo engaging in some friendly banter and Gonzo was on the phone with Megan's dad, letting him know that she was on her way to the hospital.

Just as I began to relax because everything seemed to be going to plan, it all stopped... The moving of materials stopped... The talking stopped... Everything stopped.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Whip stand up and take a step back with a shocked look on his face. He was staring at something in the pile of rubble, and suddenly, his eyelids shut and he hit the floor.

I glanced up and noticed that Tom, Reidy, Gonzo were all looking in the same direction. In fact everybody,  and I mean everybody (from Head lifeguard Hoppo to the seagulls in the sky) was looking in that exact same spot - apart from me and Chappo, that is.

"Erm guys..." Chappo started before adding, "what's the matter with you all?"

"Well Chap, I don't know how to say this, but erm, the thing is that you've kind of transformed into a human kebab," Reidy informed him,

"What the hell are you on about?" Chappo asked with a little desperation in his voice,

"What he's trying to say Chap," Quiggers began, "is that you are now a bit of a skewer,"

"Huh? Will somebody please tell me what in the World you are staring at, because I'm beginning to feel like a goldfish in a pet shop..."

"Sorry Chap," Gonz said piping up, "it's just the fact that you've... Well you've..."

"Gonzo, I swear to God if you don't tell me what you are looking at this instant, I'm going t..."

"YOU'VE GOT A METAL POLE PROTRUDING FROM YOUR THIGH!!!"

"Ah, well that's nice to know, thanks for that Gonz," Chap said as his eyes rolled back in his head and he passed out.

Well, I thought, at least that explains why he was in so much pain!

HEY GUYS,

I'M SO SO SORRY THAT I HAVEN'T UPDATED IN A FEW DAYS... I'M ON HOLIDAY AND HAVEN'T HAD ACCESS TO GOOD WIFI UNTIL TODAY, SO APOLOGIES FOR MAKING YOU WAIT THIS LONG!

I REALLY HOPE YOI ENJOY THIS CHAPTER - I'VE TRIED TO INCLUDE A FRE MORE COMEDIC ELEMENTS, BUT IT'S QUITE TRICKY AS THIS IS MORE OF A SERIOUS PART, AND HOPEFULLY THERE WILL BE A FEE MORE PIECES OF ROMANCE AND A LITTLE BIT MORE OF REIDY (for you, Lili!☺️)

AS ALWAYS, DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT IF YOU HAVE ANY REQUESTS OR SUGGESTIONS... I ALWAYS LIVE READING YOUR FEEDBACK - YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

MUCH LOVE,

Charlie x