Just hold on

After Nicola's accident, Chap told me that I would probably be better off staying away from Bondi for just a couple of days to let my body have a chance to heal, and I agreed. However, what Chap didn't realise is that I only agreed to stay away from Bondi... I never agreed to stay away from Bronte or Tamarama. So, for the last couple of days I've avoided Bondi, and embraced the other two beaches, which also happen to be patrolled by the lifeguards of Bondi beach.

On the third morning after the accident, I got a call from an unknown number. I answered and was utterly suprised to hear Nicola at the other end of the line!

"Hey, is that Charlotte?" She enquires,
"Sure is," I replied,
"Hey, so I have a day off today and was wondering if you wanna head down to Bronte and catch a few waves? Don't worry, I've checked and Chappo is rostered on at Bomdi today so you're safe!"
"Yeah!" I replied almost immediately, "I'd love to, and how did you know I've been sneaking down to the beach?"
"I saw you yesterday at Tama, and the day before at Bondi so I just kinda guessed really,"
"Ah sweet, I guess I'll see you at Bronte in about 30 minutes?" I asked,
"Sure! Oh, and thanks heaps for the other day!"
"Don't mention it... See you soon!"

I put the phone down and literally bounded around the house trying to find all my stuff. I grabbed my surf board, wetsuit and most importantly my inhaler, because there was no way that I was going to get caught out by my stupid lungs again! Then I pretty much half ran, half walked to Bronte.

As I stood at the edge of the beach I realised why Nic had been to keen to get out in the surf today... It was absolutely pounding, and I could already see a few off duty lifeguards out there. I admit that my water skills are a little rusty, and are no where near as good as Nicola's, but I couldn't wait to get myself in there!

"So, you ready?" I heard a voice say from behind me, and I knew straight away that it was Nicola,
"As I'll ever be!" I replied as we ran down to the edge of the surf.

We paddled right out to the back and were greeted straight away by Deano, Box, Gonzo and Quiggers.

I seriously couldn't get over how big the swell was... It was at least 8 foot, and the biggest waves I've ever ridden were only about 5 foot. Nevertheless, I couldn't wait to get started!

When you're out in the Ocean, it feels like you lose all sense of time. We must have been out for a good hour or so already, and I was honestly having the time of my life. If I was being honest, the only thing that could possibly make it better was if Chap was here. I know it's only been a few days since we were last at the beach together, but I miss spending time with him. It feels like a part of me is missing.

That's another thing I like about the ocean... It allows you to be alone with your thoughts. I think that's one of the reasons why the locals call it Dr. Pacific, because it really does allow you to wash all of your issues away. Also, salt water is pretty good for cleaning cuts... Chap thinks the reason that my cuts are healing so quickly is because I've been resting, when really it's because I've been washing them with salt water every day, but ah well, what he doesn't know won't hurt him!

I was just thinking about how well my life had turned out when I noticed the wave of the morning rolling in, so I took off. I began paddling as if my life depended on it; I was determined to catch this wave, and I did! I was just about to find my feet and attempt to ride the wave of the day when I heard someone (I think it was Deano) shout "Charlotte watch out!" At the top of his voice.

I turned my head just in time to see another board rider on the same wave and coming in my direction. In order to avoid a collision I had no alternative but to jump from my board. It was the only option available to me, and so I struck up the courage and jumped. As soon as I entered the water I was thrown in every direction imaginable, and I had absolutely no idea which way was up. It honestly felt like I was in a washing machine.

I was submerged by a ridiculous amount of white water, and this was the longest I've ever been held under for. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a swimmer, so I'm pretty good at holding my breath, but my limit is about 3 minutes. It felt like I'd been held under for years, and there was no sign of me surfacing soon. I felt my self starting to drift off. I could feel my heart and my head pounding, and I felt like my head was about to explode. I knew that I wasn't going to be able to stay conscious for much longer, so I started to hope. Keep calm Charlotte, I told myself, just keep calm... That's all you can do.

All of a sudden I felt a cool breeze on my face, and I knew that I had re-surfaced. I gasped for air and had to hold onto my board to stay afloat. I was completely disorientated and had absolutely no idea which part of the surf I was in. I just laid my head down on my board and concentrated on breathing. I knew that I needed to get that all important oxygen into my lungs, but all I could think was, Chappo is actually going to kill me.

A couple of minutes passed by and then I felt a couple of arms grab hold of me and haul me onto a board. I had no idea who it was, but knew it was one of the lifeguards from the way that they paddled me in. We got to the shoreline and were met by the on duty lifeguards. I recognised them to be Reidy, Whippet and Yak. I was glad to see Yak, because like Quinno he is also a part time paramedic.

Although I like Whip a lot, I was not so glad to see him because I knew he'd be straight on the phone to Chappo.

I was then carried up the beach by the lads and placed into the recovery position. I felt Yak put an Oxy mask over my face whilst Quiggers wrapped me up in a shiny silver space blanket, and Whip spoke on the radio, undoubtedly to Chappo.

I started to cough up water and felt myself starting to drift off again. Yak starting to run my back and told me that it was all alright and to 'just cough it up', but that was easier said than done.

All I wanted was for Chappo to be here. I wanted to see him. I wanted to hold his hand. But most of all, I wanted to be able to get lost in his majestic eyes once more.

The last thing that I remember before passing out is Whip kneeling in front of me, holding my hand, ruffling my hair and whispering "It's ok darl, I've told Chap and he's on his way. Just hold on..."

Just hold on, I thought.

ENJOY GUYS, AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK...
ALSO, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH - THIS STORY HAS HAD 300+ READS AND I AM ABSOLUTELY OVER THE MOON, I CAN'T EXPRESS HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE IT!
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT ANY IDEAS/FEEDBACK YOU HAVE...

MUCH LOVE,
Charlie x